0.7.1 Preview r792, r797 (Release Candidates 1 and 2)

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

I was thinking more of the Fixed-Do style.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Isn't that already in the game? Under labeling options (in the dev version it was renamed to) "'Do, Re, Mi' Note Names". Is that different than what you're interested in having?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I made a last-minute couple changes to the Windows side of the code that made it into the official 0.7.1 release without ever being seen in a dev preview... deep internal stuff that shouldn't have any impact on anybody or anything. Although, because it does touch some low-level stuff, please let me know if the whole thing explodes horribly. That would be good to know.

I'm sure I'll find out pretty soon either way when I wake up tomorrow and check my email inbox. ;)
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Nicholas wrote:Isn't that already in the game? Under labeling options (in the dev version it was renamed to) "'Do, Re, Mi' Note Names". Is that different than what you're interested in having?
Yes, it is there, but not in the score view... but PianoBooster has this feature as C..H, no problem.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Alright, so this is more about getting labels in the score view, too?

Once they're there, you get the overlap problem. Though, that's not too tricky. We could always just use the label from the highest note (or have it be a setting).

Generating them isn't too tricky though.

I'd also imagine this could piggy-back nicely off the Lyrics feature item. Once I get text up there at all, it should be easy to choose what it says.
cairnz

Post by cairnz »

All this directx stuff is making me hope you're not abandoning opengl? (I know you're coming with windowed and all that) - but opengl fullscreen acts just like a directx windowed maximized (borderless) for me, which makes it really easy to keep it running in fullscreen while doing other stuff with other screens without having to wait for seconds for the screens to flicker and resync because of resolution changes.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Nah. If anything, the OpenGL side must absolutely get as much attention as DirectX because in the Mac version there is only OpenGL.

All the DirectX stuff was just kind of forced on me by the new environment change that came with my new dev machine. If I didn't have to deal with it, I wouldn't have. :)
cairnz

Post by cairnz »

That's good to hear. I heart the openGL renderer - though windowed mode might change things.

How about you go around and implement multiple screen support (i.e. EyeFinity and such, or spanning across desktops, mine's at 3968x1200 ;))
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

In DirectX mode, I'd imagine Eyefinity should just work. Synthesia is just asking for a video mode the same size as your current desktop.

I'll have to try it. I'm at 3840x1200, too... I just don't usually leave Eyefinity running.

Also, with any luck, the windowed-mode stuff should work the same between either renderer. So, you shouldn't have to give up OpenGL when that's ready.
mahen
Synthesia Multiple Donor!

Post by mahen »

Thanks for the new release Nicholas ! For your information, this version works out of the box with the current version of wine under Linux -- no need to install dlls, etc. Just dbl click on the installer then launch it :-)
Running Synthesia from Linux (WINE).
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That's always good to hear. Thanks for keeping me updated. Even though I can't officially support it, my intent is to never break that compatibility if I don't have to.