0.7.3 Preview r899

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Nicholas wrote:Out of curiosity, why do you want to disable it?
When there will be any web features of Synthesia which I like and want to use I can enable it again. Of course I am trusting you and Synthesia. :)

For example before using any web feature I would like to use "loop segment only practicing" in a way, having also scores for the looped sections. For me this is more important than a new version checking, I check already often enough, do not worry about this.

Loop segment scores would only allow practicing longer pieces step by step but still having scores for each step. Now we have steps, but no scores for them. I would need the score to decide if I can continue with the next step or have to repeat the same step again.
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

TonE wrote:Loop segment scores would only allow practicing longer pieces step by step but still having scores for each step. Now we have steps, but no scores for them. I would need the score to decide if I can continue with the next step or have to repeat the same step again.
Hi TonE, your post has remembered me I have to remember to Nicholas in about a month (well maybe now about 3 weeks) I have some ideas for improve this feature. :lol:
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

vicentefer31 wrote:... I have to remember to Nicholas in about a month (well maybe now about 3 weeks) I have some ideas for improve this feature. :lol:
If those ideas are not a secret you could write them also here, we can also think about them? That is all what we can do, thinking or better dreaming of new features in Synthesia. :D Also gratulations for the world championship!
Donald E. Knuth wrote:It was not about recognition; the impetus was the thought that you were resonating with ideas.
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

The ideas are at the bottom of this post and they are more or less what you can see in this picture a and picture b

Nicholas said that if I was really interested in those ideas I should remember the ideas to him in about a month and like I am a good boy :lol: I'm going to wait a month to speak again about how to improve the "bookmark - repeat loops" ;)
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

I believe this functionality we can have using the command line feature together with AutoHotkey, except the listing of the last 10 loop results. Also there seems to be still a small bug in the looping feature: If you did not select any loop before, like using right mouse click and drag or using the command line, then you can not use < and > to jump among the bookmark segments. My workaround is I always start the song via the command-line with some unimportant 5 second long loop to be able to continue my selections using < and >. Of course you need then songs having already correct "segment markers", you can immediately start having fun with the looped segments.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

You two... always hijacking my development topics with your crazy ideas. ;)

Now that you've had three or so weeks of messing around with the loop stuff (and a few days with the latest stuff), if you still feel just as strongly about those mock-ups, I'll finally take a look at them. :D

I was mostly hoping you'd forget about showing the stats for the previous X number of loops. It just seems like that information rapidly becomes less valuable as you continue looping, and it's a lot of screen real-estate to use up for something that isn't critical.

Maybe if you mouse-over that area and it expands to show a bunch of information I'd have an easier time swallowing it...
TonE wrote:Also there seems to be still a small bug in the looping feature: If you did not select any loop before ... then you can not use < and > to jump among the bookmark segments.
Hmm, I'll check to see if I broke that at some point. It was working by just creating one at the beginning of the song to the first bookmark.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

TonE wrote:Also there seems to be still a small bug in the looping feature: If you did not select any loop before, like using right mouse click and drag or using the command line, then you can not use < and > to jump among the bookmark segments.
Hmm, I can't seem to reproduce this in r899. With or without bookmarks in the song, I can click "Play!" and then press either < or > and it makes a loop between the song start and either the first bookmark or the end of the song depending on the presence of bookmarks. Is this just with the autohotkey script or does it not work when you do it yourself with no scripts or command-line args at all?
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Nicholas wrote:Hmm, I can't seem to reproduce this in r899. With or without bookmarks in the song, I can click "Play!" and then press either < or > and it makes a loop between the song start and either the first bookmark or the end of the song depending on the presence of bookmarks. Is this just with the autohotkey script or does it not work when you do it yourself with no scripts or command-line args at all?
I am using also r899 and always in OpenGL mode, so I do not a cross-check always against DirectX mode. Whatever I write is always for the OpenGL mode. I found even two more looping/bookmark bugs.

1. If have a loop set in a song with multiple bookmarks and then you press < often enough until you reach the beginning of the song and the loop marker disappears, it is not possible anymore to come back using >, thus the loop is effectively gone or deleted.

2. If I change the bookmark position by pressing B, then mouse left clicking on the old bookmark and setting a shorter bookmark, then the loop still uses the previous bookmarks position, but the display in the timeline below is correct, but not on the falling notes display above. It seems the falling notes display does not update the new loop end marker correctly. At least once this occured to me here.

I am also starting Synthesia using its command line.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

TonE wrote:I am also starting Synthesia using its command line.
Indeed if I start Synthesia without the command line the problem 1. is not available any more.
2. If I change the bookmark position by pressing B, then mouse left clicking on the old bookmark and setting a shorter bookmark, then the loop still uses the previous bookmarks position, but the display in the timeline below is correct, but not on the falling notes display above. It seems the falling notes display does not update the new loop end marker correctly. At least once this occured to me here.
Ok, this is not a bug, as bookmarks and old defined loops are two separate things, sorry for confusing you or you us. :)
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

TonE wrote:
TonE wrote:I am also starting Synthesia using its command line.
Indeed if I start Synthesia without the command line the problem 1. is not available any more.
If you are interested in which command line I am using here is the AutoHotkey line:

Run, %SYNTHESIA_EXECUTABLE% --windowed --keyboard-zoom YouPlay --dont-save --on-startup Play --speed %Speed% --play-mode Practice --copy-score --loop-start=1 --loop-end=3 --channel-mode All=PlayedButHidden --channel-mode Ch1=PlayedAutomatically "%Clipboard%"
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Nicholas wrote:You two... always hijacking my development topics with your crazy ideas. ;)
Sure, it's a hard work, but someone has to do it :lol:
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

I have used Synthesia with "Sonic the Hedgehog - Green Hill Zone" in a Dell D610 and this what I saw:
-0.7.2: 37 FPS
-Preview r899: 62 FPS

Congratulations Nicholas!
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

vicentefer31 wrote:The ideas are at the bottom of this post and they are more or less what you can see in this picture a and picture b
I actually don't see the point of saving loops ?

That scoring seems cool, maybe you could see the scores if you pause the game, cause that will also work with rythm mode.
English was my worst subject on school, so my language could be a bit awkward sometimes...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

TonE wrote:1. If have a loop set in a song with multiple bookmarks and then you press < often enough until you reach the beginning of the song and the loop marker disappears, it is not possible anymore to come back using >, thus the loop is effectively gone or deleted.
Ah ha! I was finally able to reproduce this. With and without anything on the command-line.

If you have explicitly added a bookmark at the beginning of the song, the auto-loop creation code gets stuck trying to figure out how to advance or back up a loop that starts at time=0 and ends at time=0.

I'll fix it by hiding bookmarks that start at time 0. Then everything will be consistent again.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Nicholas wrote:With and without anything on the command-line.
Then it was a good discovery. :)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'll do the "last 10 loop stats on mouse hover or pause" thing and rhythm-mode loop stats for 0.7.4... time is running short, so I'm dumping as much overboard as I can right now. ;)

(I will still make --copy-score do something for loops though. That should be fast.)
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Nicholas wrote:I will still make --copy-score do something for loops though.
It sounds already great, is it difficult also to change from "normal copy-score" to an "extended copy-score" by providing also the other performance information like extra time, extra notes and duration percentage?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I have a sneaking suspicion that you're pretty much the only person (anywhere) using the --copy-score command-line argument. I'll see how easy it is (I'm guessing very easy) and add those few things if I can. There won't be any separate stuff you'll have to change like additional command-line arguments because you're the only person and you sound like you always want it. ;)
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Nicholas wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that you're pretty much the only person (anywhere) using the --copy-score command-line argument. I'll see how easy it is (I'm guessing very easy) and add those few things if I can. There won't be any separate stuff you'll have to change like additional command-line arguments because you're the only person and you sound like you always want it. ;)
No problem, if the loop scoring will work I can try to implement something in the direction of "Kasper-style playing" except the "Blind You Play mode" story. Then Synthesia + AutoHotkey users would have already a basic Performance Analysis included in that solution, with a plot also, which could be regarded as kind of "prototype" of what you might implement in future directly in Synthesia. As I save all the performance results quite openly as .txt files on the harddisk in future even better global "performance comparison tools" could be written. But for now I do not have a need for them. I am also afraid even after finishing and sharing this AutoHotkey solution only a few users will try it... but who cares, vicentefer31 and Kasper will try it, I am sure. ;)