0.8.2 Preview r1442 - Dramatically Improved Notation

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Is the stem lenght of the notes a manditory set? (ex: always 15 mm length)
You should probably compare the notation in musescore.
"And now for something completely different."
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Electrode wrote:One random thing I came across today is: why are you not allowed to use simple track settings if you have no output device selected? Surely you should still be able to use simple settings, with just the top button "Watch and listen, follow along on your own" taken away or greyed-out or something?
It'd be more of a "Watch (but don't listen), follow along on your own" instead of just making it unavailable, wouldn't it? Also, why don't you have an output device?! Everyone has an output device! :D
Electrode wrote:Is there a way to have Synthesia remember loops between sessions (i.e. if you exit the program and go back in, your loop is right where you left it)?
Thinking about the problem that this request is trying to solve, it seems like you're looking for a way to easily drill down into a section of a song you'd like to practice most. Instead of solving it with loops, I have some neat ideas I'm hoping will make it into 0.8.3 that will solve the problem a different way.
Electrode wrote:how come the right hand track isn't just forced to treble clef, and the left hand track forced to bass clef ... the clef automatically switches on the staff for that hand.
We're in a pretty good place right now. When it picks staff dynamically per-page we'll be in an excellent place. To defeat your scheme, imagine alternating 32nd notes between C3 and C7, over and over. There isn't a single-staff you can show that on where it will be passable. (More generally: huge note ranges inside the same measure.) Pathological, sure. The system right now handles it alright though. (And the dynamic version will handle it even better.)
DC64 wrote:Is the stem length of the notes a manditory set? (ex: always 15 mm length)
For now, yes. When I finally go back and fix beams so they can extend between more than two notes, stem lengths will be variable (the way they ought to be).
DC64 wrote:Neutron Star Collision (Love is Forever)
The part I showed is the Pad 3 (polysynth).
Hmm, looks like a quantization thing. The notes are overlapping. That's a good lead on the problem. I'll fix it (in 0.8.3).
Typhlosion

Post by Typhlosion »

Nicholas wrote:Hmm, looks like a quantization thing. The notes are overlapping. That's a good lead on the problem. I'll fix it (in 0.8.3).
As I said. It was even visible on the screenshot!^^
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Typhlosion wrote:As I said. It was even visible on the screenshot!^^
Sorry about that. I didn't correlate "duration of the notes" with "overlapping notes", and when I clicked Show/Hide on the spoiler, I didn't click the image to see the whole thing... so I only saw the notation. :lol:

You were right all along!
DC64

Post by DC64 »

I guess with the notation since 32nd notes are not being put in this dev. version,
you could put 16th notes with staccatos on them. It could be a bit confusing though.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

This could be because of the notation, but if you move the sheet music as far down as it can go, Synthesia will crash.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

What resolution (or window size) are you using?
Electrode

Post by Electrode »

Nicholas wrote: It'd be more of a "Watch (but don't listen), follow along on your own" instead of just making it unavailable, wouldn't it? Also, why don't you have an output device?! Everyone has an output device! :D
Yes, I do have an output device too. ;) It's just not connected via MIDI. My keyboard is connected to my computer via MIDI Out (keyboard) to MIDI In (computer). The thing is, I don't have a cable going the other way, and I sometimes use my keyboard's onboard sound instead of BASSMIDI. I could fake it using a dummy output device or something, but I'm just being truthful when I set "No Output Device", since the output isn't going from computer to keyboard, but everything's coming from the keyboard as if no MIDI cables were present. Sometimes I prefer hearing my keyboard's onboard sounds as they are more dynamically expressive than even some of the best quality SoundFonts that I use with BASSMIDI. I do use BASSMIDI most of the time, though.

I like the idea of keeping the button and changing it to "Watch (but don't listen), follow along on your own" instead of making it unavailable.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Electrode wrote:I like the idea of keeping the button and changing it to "Watch (but don't listen), follow along on your own" instead of making it unavailable.
Added to the internal list! So, someday. ;)

(Really, it's a very small adjustment so it's the kind of thing I sneak in when I'm not in desperate crunch mode like I am until the end of the year.)
Electrode

Post by Electrode »

Why is it always the end of the year when things get manic? In my own life too, the Christmas period is the craziest time of the year, without a doubt! I know what you're going through, self-inflicted or otherwise! :lol:
kickininthefrontsea

Post by kickininthefrontsea »

Nicholas

I've attached a zip files for your test suite
contains .midi .pdf and .musescore
a .mp3 is available here http://imslp.org/wiki/Espa%C3%B1a,_Op.1 ... ,_Isaac%29

as good as your current layout is, for advanced scores notation is ... lacking ;-)
probably only solvable by using the pdf*

* by which i mean "Sheet Music Image Import", the falling notes work great for this score
Attachments
malaguena.zip
(513.54 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Last edited by kickininthefrontsea on 11-05-11 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That's a pretty brutal test case. With triplet support, I bet it would be totally passable though. Until then though, brutal. :D