0.8.3 Preview r1596, r1613 - Song Groups

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

There is still a right-click menu that lets you pick between rating, difficulty, and last played/play count. It works the same as it does in the current preview, except now last played and play count are collapsed into one choice instead of two.

EDIT: here is the picture again since we just rolled to a new page. ;)
file.png
file.png (16.34 KiB) Viewed 9748 times
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Is there still away to sort by play count?

Sadly the more I think about it. I use everything but the flags to find songs to play..

The thought process changes depending on my mood, how good I'm playing. So I'll show you how I use each thing:

Use Play Count to see how much iv played it. Some times I want to play something new or just play something I am good at.
Rating determines how much I like the song.
Last Played is used so I can play something I haven't played in a few days. (months/year) And to determine who was the last person to play that song. (also what mood I was in while playing.)
Difficulty determines how hard it is to play. :o Sometimes I want to play something easy or fast or w/e. (is also used to tell me how well the tracks(more then 2) play together.)

And I use the sorting by Play Count, Last Played and Alphabetical/Folders.

Nicholas wrote:
maccer wrote:... instead of clicking on a column header to sort is very unconventional – i don't think I've seen it anywhere else
Every version of Windows Explorer in the last decade in list-view.
And in Details view you don't have to right click to sort or to show more than one property. ;)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

PREVIEW r1613
Download from the pink box above.

The "song scores" displayed on the library screen right now are (still) totally fake. They will be implemented in the next preview.

Changes in r1613 since r1596:
  • Folders can now be "shown" or "hidden" on the watched folder screen. This finally replaces (upgrades?) the drop-down folder list.
  • "Last Played" and "Play Count" have been merged into a single column (always sorted by Last Played).
  • New keybind to navigate up a group. It's set to the tilde/back-tick key ( ` ) by default.
  • New keybind to cycle which custom column is displayed in the song library. It's set to the right square-bracket key ( ] ) key by default.
  • Just using the up/down arrow keys will no longer navigate into a group. It takes a click or pressing Enter.
  • Added a "Sorting" button to the library screen to make it more discoverable and not require a right-click.
  • Added a small song title label down by the preview controls so you can tell which song is currently loaded.
  • Fixed a crash when starting to play a song that isn't found in a song library folder (via the command-line or otherwise).
  • Fixed a crash in any of the editing modes when a Learning Pack key wasn't entered.
  • Fixed jumbled text on the Add Folder screen if you navigated inside a folder you don't have permissions to view.
  • All executables and installers are now digitally signed by Synthesia LLC.
That should smooth out a few of the rough edges. Let me know how things feel now.

The "cycle custom column" keybind is sort of a hidden power-user feature in that it lets you show a different column than the one that is currently sorted. That was totally on purpose. ;)
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

When right clicking the sort menu is offset on the X axis.
seems to be SortMenuX = SortingButtonX + MouseX
Maybe it's : SortMenuX = SongListX + MouseX

Other then that looks good.
The last play with the play count looks like it will work. ;)

What do you think about a 'Songs (without groups)' in any groups with sub groups?
That way you could have it show all the 'G Major Music Theory' songs. with out any custom ones.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Raymond wrote:Maybe it's : SortMenuX = SongListX + MouseX
Yep, that one is it. Sorry about that. I was trying to fix the (still unresolved) small offset that was happening when you click the Sorting button directly... and broke something while trying to do it. At 1024 wide -- when SongListX is 0 -- there isn't a problem though. :D

Anyhoo, I'll fix it.
Raymond wrote:What do you think about a 'Songs (without groups)' in any groups with sub groups?
There are some technical limitations preventing that sort of thing. The library is tweaked to handle super-huge song sets now, so I have to keep as little record-keeping and do as little updating as possible most of the time. Knowing about the full-hierarchy of song groups to be able to grab just one branch of the tree isn't something it was built to do. It's either "one specific group" or "no groups" right now.

Besides, the new "shown" and "hidden" thing in the folder list should be able to solve that problem pretty nicely now. It's like the old folder drop-down menu, only more robust because instead of "All" or one selection, you can have any subset of folders selected that you want.

Leaving folders set to "hidden" also speeds up the scanning process the next time you start Synthesia too. It's less hiding song results and more pretending like the folder was never added in the first place. Really it's just a convenience so you don't have to keep digging around on your hard drive to find the path to your song folders.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Nicholas wrote:There are some technical limitations preventing that sort of thing.
Figured it was going to be something like that.
Nicholas wrote:Leaving folders set to "hidden" also speeds up the scanning process the next time you start Synthesia too.
I like how you answered the question I edited out. Because I thought knew the answer. :lol: (I was wrong.)
Now I can stop 'watching' / 'unwatching' the sub folders! :D
(It takes to long for Synthesia to go through all my songs. So I would only watch the sub folders of the ones I actually played.)
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Could you add an option so we could switch back to the old song list? Then we could go to the new song list to see the goals.
(I am really missing the difficulty and rating...(it's too much work for me to switch back and forth.) and sorting by play count... ) :(
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Raymond wrote:...it's too much work for me to switch back and forth.
Pressing the ] key is too much work?

The effort it would take on my part to maintain both versions of the library is greater than the combined time savings every single user that elected to enable it would ever save, over the entire lifetime of Synthesia. And in terms of resource allocation, there is only one of me. ;)
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Bummer, maybe at some point ill get use to it.