Synthesia 10

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Fr3dY wrote:Maybe the latest dev version string AND date should appear on the pink box? Could be helpful ;)
I suppose... and certainly Synthesia 10 just claimed the record for longest development cycle ever (earlier this month) so there are more previews than usual, but...

All that information is right on the same screen as the pink box:
devDates.png
devDates.png (35.62 KiB) Viewed 25869 times
So while it's not inside the pink box, that date (and more) is already on the same page. Just find the biggest "r" number at the top of the list and you're all set.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

At long last: track splitting is complete (and it turned out really nice).

New preview incoming. Probably tomorrow.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

yeaahh!
PHIDIAS

Post by PHIDIAS »

Yay!
chrisrak11

Post by chrisrak11 »

Hey,

In Synthesia for Android Beta topic you said that Synthesia proliferates to the other storefronts (Steam etc). Would the price on Steam be the same as here?
Also the thing is that I would immidiately buy Synthesia if I knew that I could add it to my Steam library with the purchased unlock key when it comes to that platform. (Is that's even possible)

Keep up the good work :)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The short answer is that I don't know those details yet. Steam is still a ways off and I'm not completely familiar with how things work from the developer side there. Though I have heard it's pretty easy to generate Steam keys to hand out to existing owners of your software. Ideally existing Learning Pack users would be able to get a Steam key if that's where they prefer to keep their games. (I know I do. :lol: )
Fr3dY

Post by Fr3dY »

Nicholas wrote: I suppose... and certainly Synthesia 10 just claimed the record for longest development cycle ever (earlier this month) so there are more previews than usual, but...

All that information is right on the same screen as the pink box:

So while it's not inside the pink box, that date (and more) is already on the same page. Just find the biggest "r" number at the top of the list and you're all set.

You're right, but if someone posts to an older version thread, it would be on top of the latest one.
I think it should be even better if (only) the latest dev version thread would be a sticky one, so it's always available at the top of the list ;)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Done! I usually mark them as sticky for only 2 weeks (to keep manual upkeep at a minimum) but I just switched it to a permanent sticky that I'll update the next time a build goes up. Thanks for the suggestion. :D
PHIDIAS

Post by PHIDIAS »

If you put synthesia on steam,
You also need to make a beta version access.
Also you need to donate $100USD to some organizations that help children to read more books.(I had told you.)
I really look forward to steam storefront.
If I have time,I will buy 1 more copy for myself(as donations)
If I have more $,I will buy more copies and make it for........lucky draw! :lol: :D
rewind3487

Post by rewind3487 »

I was looking to purchase Synthesia 9 but was a little worried the app had not been updated in quite some time. I'm glad I stumbled across this thread; it looks like an update is still coming!

If I purchase/unlock Synthesia 9, is there any cost for the Synthesia 10 update? Especially if it looks like it might be somewhat around the corner.

Thanks!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

No extra cost at all! You can download the new version when it comes out and install it right on top of the old one. It will already be unlocked. :D
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Yep a license is valide for lifetime Thanks to Nicholas many dev don't do this!
chrisrak11

Post by chrisrak11 »

Hey!

So I was just trying out the latest dev version and noticed that if a song starts in one key and later modulates into another then the text which states the key stays the same. For example:
Spoiler:
The song started in G major but by this time in this screenshot it already has modulated into A major.

I don't know how the key stuff work with midi files and if even anything can be done about it. Just thought I'd point that out.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

It's up to the author of the MIDI file to make sure key change MIDI events are inserted where they belong. If you didn't see the next key signature name fall in the left margin, it sounds like that song only includes the initial key.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Synthesia 10 is now "Waiting For Review" from Apple for the iPad version.

I'll push the desktop version out tomorrow morning so I can be around the whole day in case there are fires to put out. This release might finally see the light of day... just under a year late. :lol:

(Android will go out in the next few days. Probably before Apple finishes reviewing the iPad version.)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Well, that was exciting. The new crash-reporting system got a nice workout. :lol:

The desktop version went live and 16 crashes rolled in during the first half hour. So, if you happened to get r3263, you should download it again so you've got r3266. That's as responsive as I think we've ever been. There is almost always a Day 1 crash lurking, but it usually takes half the day to learn enough about it to solve things. This time I was able to spot exactly which line things were crashing on about 4 minutes after it went up. I like it!
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

How is the new hand hash system working? If I have a song with just left hand assigned there is scores for it, but when I add something to the right hand it hides the scores for the left hand. why?
I seem to have lost most of my non-Syntheisa scores. (as in Syntheisa is not matching them to the hand, they are still in the scores.xml file.)
note: not matching hands to scores, for both songs that had hands assigned, and without.

Is there an option to disable changing colors when I assign hands.
Why did the letter grades go? (they where useful for letting me know when I was ready to move on to Rythm\Recital\BothHands.)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Raymond wrote:...but when I add something to the right hand...
Do you mean when you change a note from Left to Right, the scores disappear? Or when you change a note from Background to Right?

If you meant L->R, that sounds correct. Because the left hand part isn't the same anymore. So those performances wouldn't match anymore.
Raymond wrote:I seem to have lost most of my non-Syntheisa scores.
Even after restoring the hand assignments to match 1:1 how they were set before? This might be a bug. There was a tiny update to the way configHashes are calculated, to fix an old floating-point non-determinism issue. Now configHashes are calculated using purely integer math (the way they should have always been). In theory that shouldn't have changed anything, but in very rare cases, it might disassociate scores. Not on the scale it sounds like you're experiencing though. More like 1 in 500.
Raymond wrote:Is there an option to disable changing colors when I assign hands.
It's less that it's "changing" them and more that you're seeing a different of the three colors. Every track now always has three colors associated with it (for left, right, and background notes). You can see this better if you do the following:

1. Set a part to Left hand.
2. Change the color to Purple.
3. Set the part to Right or Background.
4. Now, change it back to Left. It will be Purple again.

What's more, if you set it to something custom, you can actually adjust all the colors at once.

One workaround: try dragging a (single) color from a different track to the one you don't want to change. It should copy that single color to all three "slots" in the destination track.
Raymond wrote:Why did the letter grades go?
I almost forgot about this change. It happened about 9 months ago for the reasons described here.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Nicholas wrote:Do you mean when you change a note from Left to Right, the scores disappear?
Say I have a song with 2 tracks, when I have track 1 set to left, I get scores for left hand. but when I have track 1 set to left and track 2 set to right, than I do not get any scores for left. (witch I should, sense none of the left hand changed.)
Nicholas wrote:Even after restoring the hand assignments to match 1:1 how they were set before?
Yes, with a 1:1 match, I get no scores. (for a song with 40+plays)
So far it seems to be like 8 in 10, don't have scores.
Nicholas wrote:Every track now always has three colors associated with it (for left, right, and background notes).
I realise I can still change the colors, but now it's an added step im going to have to do. I liked when different instruments/parts are in different colors, even when played on the same hand.
Nicholas wrote:I almost forgot about this change. It happened about 9 months ago for the reasons described here.
Bummer, I liked it based on speed / accuracy. Then I could glance at the parts in a song I haven't played in a wile, and decide to just play both parts or move to Rythm.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Ok, something is not right with hand assignments vs scores.

Song has 35 plays, at least 8 are from last version.
There are 5 tracks, channels 1,2,3,4,6.
I have played it once, setup something like: ch3 as background, ch2 as Left, ch4 as right, ch1 as right, ch6 as background. I played Melody Both Hands.

That score shows up like it should.
Now the odd part. If I set ANY track to left OR right, and have all others to backgroud, I get the score I played yesterday. (even if that track was just background)
If I set both left, and right hands. the score only shows up under Both. (multiple/single track(s) per hand, does not change anything.)
Even if I have it setup with back ground tracks like so: ch3 as left, ch6 right, all others as background.