10 Preview r2700 - Quality of Life 2

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

PREVIEW r2700
Download from the pink box above.

REMEMBER: Your data isn't missing! Development previews store their data in a different place than official versions! This post describes how to copy your settings over.

NEW FEATURES in r2700 since r2680
  • Assign shortcuts using MIDI realtime or MMC messages.
  • Assign shortcuts using media/browser typing keyboard keys on Windows.
  • Assign shortcuts using any input combined with a pedal. For example: "pedal + lowest note".
  • Added lots of shortcuts to the help screen (press F1 during play) to highlight a few of the less-visible functions.
  • High-DPI support on Windows. On a system with greater than 96 DPI, Synthesia will switch to high-res textures and crisper text automatically.
  • A song's progress breakdown now shows relative dates ("5 minutes ago") instead of absolute ("4/27/2014"). A single click anywhere in the table will toggle between relative/absolute.
  • Setting a song's difficulty or rating is now much easier on a touch-screen and no longer prone to accidental changes while scrolling.
  • The key label option "No labels" is now distinct from the new "Octaves" option.
CHANGES
  • The strange idea of a "Learning Pack" is now the much simpler "Unlock Synthesia" instead. (See this post for details.)
  • The unlock button only appears on title screen while Synthesia is still locked. The unlock screen itself is now always available in Settings.
  • Added support for unlock keys with limited maintenance duration.
FIXES
  • Improved the speed of the DirectX renderer.
  • Large fast-forward jumps are now much faster. This also improves general performance for very intense songs.
  • Added an advanced setting ("Midi.KeyLightVelocity") to change which note velocity Synthesia uses for key light messages.
  • Fixed a rare song library crash.
This quality-of-life preview focused on shortcuts and the Learning Pack change. Next, the third (and final) QoL preview will contain the most dramatic changes. That one is focused on a couple device I/O improvements and some major stuff on the play screen during song playback.

After that, we're finally ready to do track splitting!
Birdman87

Post by Birdman87 »

OMG ok i don't know what you did but the bug where synthesia's thread blocked and had no sound when i played awoken is gone now, wohoo, thank you!

Also will seeing the key signature while playing a song be available in the next iteration of the quality of life?

Looking great so far, keep up the good work!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Birdman87 wrote:... the bug where synthesia's thread blocked and had no sound when i played awoken is gone now, wohoo, thank you!
I wasn't expecting that to be fixed either, though it's still good news either way! :lol:
Birdman87 wrote:Also will seeing the key signature while playing a song be available in the next iteration...
Yep. QoL3 will add a better way to show key signatures in the falling note area than Synthesia has ever had.
613Skier

Post by 613Skier »

I seem to have lost all my play history with this new update. Also had to Unlock again not a super big deal, just mentioning

Had to check 2613 Still has my settings.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

613Skier wrote:I seem to have lost all my play history with this new update. Also had to Unlock again not a super big deal, just mentioning
See the bright-red text in the top post and also the bold text in the pink box at the top of the screen. ;)
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Synthesia r2700 doesn't run as smooth as r2680. Like a TV with too low frequency. So I will stick to r2680. My laptop is pretty old, I have to mention that. Intel dual core 1.60 GHz with 2 GB RAM.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Pianotehead wrote:Synthesia r2700 doesn't run as smooth as r2680.
Interesting, I actually made some changes to speed things up while using the DirectX renderer. If you press F6 during a song, what sort of numbers do you see in the top-left corner? Does it hover around 59 or 60?

If you use the Synthesia Configuration utility to switch over to the OpenGL renderer, does that help speed things back up?
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

And don't use particules too anyway it's useless ^^
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Actually, even particles were improved to be a less "expensive" in terms of frame time, so that shouldn't even make as large a difference anymore.