10.2 Preview r3659-r3715 - Lots of stuff

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
lilic

Post by lilic »

Hello there...
This version of synthesia (r3659) doesn't show all midi files in my folder, the previous one did.
Is that a bug?

Edit:
It must have something to do with this "fixed bug": Songs can no longer be shown more than once in the song list, regardless of which combination of folders are being watched.
I have copied some midi files to a folder called "priorities" which contains songs I want to learn first. This folder is under a main MIDI FILES folder.
So, I have two copies of each of those songs: one where it really belongs and one in the "priorities" folder.

Synthesia r3320 was watching the parent folder (plus its children) and it worked fine (I could see 9 files in the "priorities" folder).
Synthesia r3659 doesn't work with that same setup. When I select "priorities" folder in Synthesia, only one of those songs is shown. It is a song that have been renamed after I copied it to this particular folder.. So I thought "it could work if I renamed all the songs in this folder", but it didn't and I have no idea why. Should I change any configuration?
Last edited by lilic on 07-24-15 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silvrica

Post by silvrica »

I agree with rumpole and Birdman87 about small label size of black keys in r3659. Here is a image comparing the current size with the r3659. Why does it change? It was fine.
Attachments
Label size 1.jpg
Label size 1.jpg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 25418 times
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Hi Nicholas,
Well a lot of new stuff indeed!
I own an i mac 24 now so i would be glad to report any problems i am on lastest yosemite but i don't know if my license run also on mac?

Flat style! => am downloading right now!

edit:Run good on yosemite! Haven't tried to connect a keyboard yet.
Hum i don't see where the flat stuff are i don't see any differences.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

jimhenry wrote:I am starting to think that the right solution is to read and consume all the non-note MIDI events that precede the first note event and play those non-note events "out of time"...
The interesting part is that until I dug into the code to investigate, that was what I believed was actually happening! :lol:

I agree. I can't think of a reason not to consume the events the first time they're sent out. And with a long enough delay after reset, it should work for everyone in all cases. I'll get that into the next preview.
jimhenry wrote:An issue that we seem to have lost sight of is whether a Program Change or any other non-note event should be sent on the My Notes channel if it is Off?
I try to avoid thinking about a My Notes "channel". Certainly there are user tracks (or "Parts" in Synthesia's post-track-splitting parlance), but channels see a lot of reuse in busy songs. It is not uncommon to have the same channel used by a user-played part and a background part. So, because it's not an easy answer, the straightforward solution is just the big toggle switch we have today: Settings → Advanced → Instrument Change Messages. That lets you have 100% control over all instruments.

lilic wrote:So, I have two copies of each of those songs: one where it really belongs and one in the "priorities" folder.
This is an interesting case! You are correct that it's the duplicate songs "fix" that is causing your new bug. (Sorry!) This was more to prevent the same song showing up several times in the same list (say, on the "All Songs (one big list)" list. I could definitely see an argument for showing the song in more than one group, but still filter out duplicates if they were going to appear side-by-side. I will think about how this might be accomplished!
kiwi wrote:i am on lastest yosemite but i don't know if my license run also on mac?
Absolutely it will!
kiwi wrote:Hum i don't see where the flat stuff are i don't see any differences.
The gradients in the header/footer of each screen (and I think one or two other subtle details). Don't worry, more flattening is to come! ;) (You already got flat notes; you should be happy! :lol: )
rumpole wrote:Perhaps we should go back to r3293. It seems perfect by comparison.
silvrica wrote:Why does it change? It was fine.
The reason for the change was contrast. The white text against a light-colored note is hard for some users to see. That said, it's not hard for all users to see. (And again, I personally also prefer the older style.)

This is starting to feel like the new labels (following my latest mock-up) should be an accessibility/disability option under some gameplay setting. "High-Contrast Labels" or something like that. Then the default could switch back to the old style.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Nicholas wrote:
kiwi wrote:i am on lastest yosemite but i don't know if my license run also on mac?
Absolutely it will!
kiwi wrote:Hum i don't see where the flat stuff are i don't see any differences.
The gradients in the header/footer of each screen (and I think one or two other subtle details). Don't worry, more flattening is to come! ;) (You already got flat notes; you should be happy! :lol: )
Well for the license it ask a short code and i have a very long code so i can't paste it on the boxfield.

For the flat stuff, in fact i already have those header footer flatened and more ;) i was just hoped for a flatened library but yes i already have MY notes flattened so i am very happy ^^
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Ah ha, you don't have your short code yet! Those were added years after you first received your Learning Pack key. If you use the retrieval form to have another copy sent out, it will contain both your short code and long code.
Korados

Post by Korados »

I'm very sorry! I just saw the new preview now! But I have bad news, the or-pine1 Midi still plays incorrectly on my computer. Maybe this Midi is so messed up that there's nothing to do about. Or does it play correctly on yours? On mine, the piano part is still sounded as glockenspiel. It's sad that I can't download the original once again because the site I downloaded it from closed last year.
I'll test the preview and will write you about every bug I encounter.

EDIT: Numbered files are displayed correctly now. :)
Last edited by Korados on 07-26-15 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Hi ,
Just downloaded r3659 version of Synthesia. I use dropbox as a storage of midifiles . On this occasion Synthesia seems to know that song exist in folder but next stage none appear into software. Am I doing something wrong? See my two screen shots. Synthesia is wonderful....I am able to play piano, tin whistle now at 50 even though struggled badly to learn with traditional methods (sheet music and lots of lessons)in my younger days. Thank you very much, Jerry

.....Up date 5 minutes later! Songs appear only after Quitting Synthesia and relaunching software!!
Spoiler:
after pressing Add '0 songs found in all folders' !!??
after pressing Add '0 songs found in all folders' !!??
Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 19.51.28.png (46.61 KiB) Viewed 25379 times
'47 songs found in this folder'
'47 songs found in this folder'
Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 19.50.42.png (38.3 KiB) Viewed 25379 times
Last edited by Jerry on 07-26-15 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Thank you Nicholas Synthesia is unlocked!

Just one thing it was a long time i haven't used the free version of Synthesia.
You should put at least one song with bass & drum unlocked not piano only version because i wanted to test the built in sound of mac for drum & bass also peopple 'll see Synthesia can play pop music too ;)
Korados

Post by Korados »

I guess I found a bug already, sorry. When two black notes are very close two each other, they are flickering near the gap between them! I have to say that I really don't like the new design of the black notes.
Especially when there are fast and short black notes, they are barely visible. Why did you change this?
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Found 2 mistake in the language fr:
Settings=>advanced "about & legal" in french it's not correct (but i dunno how to translate exactly)
Settings=>gameplay ==> keyboard octave is not translated in french (octave du clavier)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Korados wrote:... the or-pine1 Midi still plays incorrectly on my computer.
This is finally the preview that should be able to play one of the parts (on a reused channel) with the correct instrument when you have the Settings → Advanced → "MIDI Track Channels" set to "Use Original". That means the other conflicting channels need to be muted.

Outside of that (very!) narrow set of circumstances, those kinds of songs with more than one instrument being used on the same channel at the same time (with no other free channels) can never be played correctly without multi-port MIDI hardware.

That is to say: this is as close as Synthesia gets to being able to play or-pine1.
Jerry wrote:On this occasion Synthesia seems to know that song exist in folder but next stage none appear into software.
This sounds like it might be related to the new duplicate-song filtering in the library. Do you know if any of the songs in your Dropbox folder also have copies in those other watched folders of yours?
Korados wrote:When two black notes are very close two each other, they are flickering near the gap between them!
Hmm, I haven't seen this behavior before. Do you mean horizontal side-by-side notes? Or vertical notes that are the same pitch and play one after the other? Which zoom level? Which platform? Etc.
Korados wrote:I have to say that I really don't like the new design of the black notes. [...] Why did you change this?
It was an attempt to increase the contrast of the labels. I don't like them either. More changes will be incoming soon. :)
kiwi wrote:keyboard octave is not translated in french
All new text gets translated just before the official release goes out the door. I batch up all the language changes at once so we only have to submit them to the translation service once per major release.

... but the trouble part about both of those text strings is that neither has changed since 10.1! Strange.
Korados

Post by Korados »

I meant vertical scrolling notes. When there's a repeated black note, then the gaps of the notes are flickering while they scroll down. I attached a Midi where you can see this. You have to go to measure 47, where
the key changes to F# major.

I'm still asking myself why the or-pine1 Midi used to play correctly and now doesn't anymore. I can't remember if I changed anything about the Midi, it was a long time ago. And I can't re-download the original.
Attachments
Toccata.mid
(36.66 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Is it a very subtle effect? I just checked that song and didn't see anything like a flicker. How stretched/squished do the notes have to be? Nearly touching? Separated by a certain amount?
Korados

Post by Korados »

It occurs when the notes are touching each other. I tried to take away the background image I had but the flickering is still there. Maybe it is subtle but I can see it clearly and
I find it pretty distracting. I don't know if this is caused by my monitor or something like this. The note size isn't stretched or squished. When I change the note size, the flickering still applies, albeit being less noticeable.
It only occurs on black notes. Maybe it's because of the new design of the black notes?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Alright, the previous label style is back and now you can customize it.

Two new advanced settings:
Keyboard.LabelBonusSize (0 to 50)
Keyboard.LabelContrast (On or Off)

The "bonus size" setting controls how far outside the note bounds labels are allowed to draw. The default is 10 pixels. (This doesn't necessarily force the label to be larger, it only relaxes the constraints when notes are very small. At large note sizes, this setting doesn't have any effect.)

The "contrast" setting switches to all-black, no-outline labels on the falling notes. The default is off.

Here is the absolute worst-case (smallest window size, all 88 keys) showing what the settings do:
labels.png
labels.png (62.83 KiB) Viewed 25300 times
Let me know what you think. Thanks!
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

If you speak about the note moving just a little when reaching the bottom bar (where there's flasing) i see this since the beginning of Synthesia.

Beetween my fav is the bonus6.
Last edited by kiwi on 07-30-15 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birdman87

Post by Birdman87 »

What about the label background and being able to choose how thick the letter outline is?
revilo2

Post by revilo2 »

So much time spent on design details... and always no sheet music mode :D
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Sheet music is far from perfect but it has really growing since the beginning so be patient :)
Anyway you can use musescore at least ;)