Synthesia Video Creator

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
joeybab3

Post by joeybab3 »

Well this will definitely help, do you think in the future that avi or mp4 could be a render option just so that it can be easily placed into after effects?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

We're avoiding MP4 because of licensing costs. (On top of requiring an unlocked Synthesia on the same computer, MP4 would mean the video creator would also have a cost, which sounds terrible.)

AVI is a possibility... but it's kind of a mess and would make the Windows and Mac versions behave differently because AVI encoding is only natively built into Windows. At first it seems like it'd only be one extra option in the "Output Format" drop-down in the Windows version, but without an "Options" or "Customize" button or whatever, you can't choose your codec or change settings. For something that's already handled so well as a post-processing step (by free apps like HandBrake), it feels like a use case that power users (like you Black MIDI folks) already have covered nicely.

If you guys were already going to such great lengths before to try and capture these videos at high quality, what's an extra re-encode step now? :lol:
silvrica

Post by silvrica »

Hello

It would be nice if the video creator could not only create a video of the falling notes, but also the sheet music.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

It should be able to. If you have sheet music turned on for that song in Synthesia, those settings should carry over to your created videos.
WoodyPianoShack

Post by WoodyPianoShack »

thank you for this fantastic improvement to your product. this has really sped up my workflow and improved the appearance of my video recordings!

all the best & keep up the good work
Woody
Visit Woody in the Piano Shack for free piano lessons, song tutorials & gear reviews!
silvrica

Post by silvrica »

Hello

I have noticed that the images of my videos converted in mp4 with Handbreak are slower than the sound. What are the perfect settings to sync video and sound in Handbreak?
joeybab3

Post by joeybab3 »

One last question:
Is soundfont(.sf2) support at all planned, or were there too many issues?
Edit: Congrats on 10,000 posts nick :)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Synthesia Video Creator - 10.2.3932

Download from the main site!

Fixes:
  • Song speed is now carried over from Synthesia
  • Raised drawing limit from 64k to 512k polygons
  • Bumped polyphony from 256 to 2048 voices!
  • Added a small Synthesia logo to the (optional) outro bumper message
  • Added the missing divider bar between falling notes and sheet music
That feels pretty good for a first official release. The other feature requests (optional song title banners, output volume control, VSTi support, etc.) leave some room for future updates.
silvrica wrote:What are the perfect settings to sync video and sound in Handbrake?
Hmm, I haven't spent much time tinkering with the settings in there. Usually things come out just fine when I use one of the presets from the right-hand side.
joeybab3 wrote:Is soundfont(.sf2) support at all planned, or were there too many issues?
The synth we found only has support for DLS, unfortunately.

I think our next synth-related feature would be VSTi support: I'd rather enable a huge jump in output quality than a small side-grade from one wave-table format to another. In the meantime, there are a few nice DLS sound sets out there and even tools (like Awave Studio) that can convert between the two.
PHIDIAS

Post by PHIDIAS »

I get the following message

Code: Select all

An unhandled exception occurred. Press "Abort" to terminate the 
program,
"Retry" to exit the program normally and "Ignore" to try to continue.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Do you have the minimum supported operating system? (Windows Vista or Mac OS 10.7)

Starting in 2016 we've had to bump our Windows OS requirements for the first time in 10 years. (Synthesia 11 will require the same.) The development tools make it hard to write modern code for the old platforms.
PHIDIAS

Post by PHIDIAS »

Win 7
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, strange. Is there a crash report generated on your desktop? (What happens if you hit Ignore a few times?)
WoodyPianoShack

Post by WoodyPianoShack »

Hi! Please add support for 25fps. Thank you!
Visit Woody in the Piano Shack for free piano lessons, song tutorials & gear reviews!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Oh, is that like half of PAL's 50 FPS the same way that 30 FPS is half of NTSC's 60 FPS?

Sorry for the omission! I don't think I've ever seen 25 FPS before.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Yep same for me but why do you need 25fps if you can achieve 60 fps?
PHIDIAS

Post by PHIDIAS »

Nicholas wrote:Hmm, strange. Is there a crash report generated on your desktop? (What happens if you hit Ignore a few times?)
I click the button for more than ten times still nothing special, still get those errors, with no crash report or .dmp things :(
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, I wonder if it's avoiding the mini-dump because it knows you have development tools installed on your computer. Usually when Windows finds a debugger installed, it will pop up the Abort/Retry/Ignore box instead of just generating a normal crash.

If you try the others (Retry or Abort) is the behavior any different?
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Nicholas wrote:
kiwi wrote:...If i know how to change the dls...
I'm not sure how to change it for the whole computer, but for the Video Creator it's just the 3rd box down in the window. See the screenshot in the top post. The "..." button next to "DLS Sound Set" should let you pick a different one.
It's localised here ;)
/System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/Resources/gs_instruments.dls

Have replaced by the fury one so Synthesia have a better sound when using the default midi built in synthetizer at the output.

It would be great to have the same choice of the soundfont/dls file right into Synthesia!
PHIDIAS

Post by PHIDIAS »

Nicholas wrote:Hmm, I wonder if it's avoiding the mini-dump because it knows you have development tools installed on your computer. Usually when Windows finds a debugger installed, it will pop up the Abort/Retry/Ignore box instead of just generating a normal crash.

If you try the others (Retry or Abort) is the behavior any different?
Pressing both Retry and Abort will quit. Pressing Ignore will NOT exit.
Th3Gavst3r

Post by Th3Gavst3r »

Just wanted to stop by and say I'd also love an intro banner feature. I bought Synthesia exclusively for video production actually, and was super excited to find out about the video creator, but for now I'm going to keep recording normal Synthesia footage just because the video looks somewhat less clean without the song label. Gotta say though, the video creator is pretty close to perfect right now, really great work! The only other thing I can complain about is VST support, but I'll just be happy if that ever happens at all :D