11 preview r4264 - New Notation Rendering

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
stephenhazel

Post by stephenhazel »

Wow! Thanks for that explanation.

It is such a fight to even understand what the idea is with these things.
Laserbeak43

Post by Laserbeak43 »

Hi Nicholas!
I can't seem to find the +/- buttons for the sheet music.
Spoiler:
no sheet music.PNG
no sheet music.PNG (315.17 KiB) Viewed 35087 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

To have the sheet music button appear (to the left of the metronome button), you have to assign at least one hand (step #4 in this guide).

After that, the +/- size buttons will appear right in the sheet area (at the right) when the song is paused.
Laserbeak43

Post by Laserbeak43 »

Missed that detail.
Thanks! Will give it a try now. I won't be able to go to bed until I do! :)

-edit
Cool!
This should make it easier to go into full sheet music mode? "blush"
Korados

Post by Korados »

I still have a problem! I did what you suggested and turned off V-Sync in both the Synthesia settings and my GPU's settings. Then Synthesia runs at about 200 frames and the notes get very blurry.
When I turn back the GPU setting, Synthesia runs at 120 frames but it stutters every few seconds. And the notes still appear with a blurry outline.
draco2023a

Post by draco2023a »

Do you think we will see multiple lines of notation before next year? Just curious.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Korados wrote:Then Synthesia runs at about 200 frames and the notes get very blurry.
Hmm, I'm curious what you mean. Synthesia is kind of a best-case for v-sync being disabled because there is no horizontal movement (so tearing is essentially invisible). And usually a higher frame rate appears smoother. What sort of display hardware are you using? What is your monitor's refresh rate?
draco2023a wrote:Do you think we will see multiple lines of notation before next year? Just curious.
I try not to give (always wrong) release dates, but seeing as the very next preview is adding multiple lines and that I'm rather deep into the development of that preview... it's probably safe to report it will happen before the end of the year. :D

I really hope I don't end up being wrong about that. For both my sake and all of yours! :lol:

(That said, there are rumblings that my wife and I might be moving before the end of the year. My Synthesia "office" lives in my house, so moving has a tendency to disrupt development a bit. Our current home tapers down in the back at a 45° slope into a sort of wooded gulch so there isn't any backyard to speak of. And as it turns out, 1½ year old toddlers need a little more than zero space to run around.)
Laserbeak43

Post by Laserbeak43 »

Nothing like a fenced in space for the kiddies :D
sage789

Post by sage789 »

Is there a way to subscribe to be notified when the next preview is posted?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

If you've got a news/RSS reader of any kind, the Development Updates - New Topics feed is probably the best way to zero-in on just this kind of news. It only updates when a new topic is started in this sub-forum and I'm the only one allowed to post new topics in this section. And for just over 10 years now, I haven't missed reporting a major preview as a new topic here. :D

For examples of what you might be able to expect in your feed, the Previous Updates section shows everything going all the way back to 2007. If you don't have a news reader, there are plenty of free services out there that will turn an RSS update into an email for you. I know that IFTTT can do it but there are probably hundreds of others.

Otherwise, following @SynthesiaDev (and optionally @Synthesia) at Twitter is a close second. That place still isn't 100% habit for me though, so things slip the cracks every once in a while.
sage789

Post by sage789 »

Thanks. Looking forward to the next preview!
biojack

Post by biojack »

Hi, I decided to give v11 dev version a try and just noticed something that I thought I'd share. When I look into the output device my keyboard is listed twice. In version 10 I can only activate one but in Version 11 it seems both get used. Now that doesn't seem to cause a problem until I turned on the keyboard lights. When ON, they automatically get turned on for both device and when when two notes are highlighted at the same time pressing the keys on the keyboard stop working, For exemple if I open the free 1 Octave practice file. The first two notes are C3 and C4, when it's time to play them they light the keyboard key as they should but then If I press C3, C4 or both at the same time nothing happen, the song is stuck. I can press every other notes on the keyboard and they play normally. If I go in settings and turn the lights off then it plays normally, just no lights. I tried turning one of the instance off but that doesn't work. Tried turning the lights off for one instance that doesn't work either. Any change made to one is automatically applied to the other.... Not sure if that's clear. Everything works well in V10.

Cheers, Jack
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

biojack wrote:Any change made to one is automatically applied to the other...
That is very strange behavior! Do both entries in the list have the exact same name with no differences at all?

Are you using the Windows version of this preview on a Windows 10 computer? Try renaming or deleting the "win10-midi.dll" file that came with the preview. Does that fix the problem?
biojack

Post by biojack »

Sorry for the delay. Yes, using the preview on a 64 bit version of windows 10. I took screenshots before and after removing the win10-midi.dll file as you suggested. That seems to work.
Screenshot from top to bottom:
1. Before turning lights on, two instances are showing
2. Turning lights on for one turns them on for both
3. After deleting win10-midi.dll
3. I was able to only turn one of the instance on with lights on.
synthesia1.png
synthesia1.png (72.99 KiB) Viewed 34365 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks for that screenshot. It is helpful to see the bug in action.

Hmm. That first situation was definitely behaving incorrectly. Do you happen to know the model name of your Yamaha keyboard? Thanks!
biojack

Post by biojack »

It's the yamaha CVP-509
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks. I'll try to have that fixed in the next preview.
Viscerous

Post by Viscerous »

So! I've gotten an ASUS USB-BT400 to connect to a Yamaha MD-BT01 on Windows 10 and it seems alright so far in this build although during normal playback on output it does seem to not play some notes entirely. Perhaps my PSR-280 keyboard is just too old though.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Is that happening in all songs (including those built into Synthesia)? Or only in a few specific songs? (Sometimes behind-the-scenes MIDI events sent in addition to plain notes can have an impact on how things end up sounding. The built-in set of songs is essentially "clean" from those kinds of extra events.)

And have you noticed whether this happens when the keyboard is connected directly using an adapter/USB cable? Or... you had mentioned before that Bluetooth was going to be the only way you had to connect, correct?
Viscerous

Post by Viscerous »

Yeah, sadly I won't be able to test through a wired setup, but it does happen on all songs including the built-in ones. In general some notes are skipped and the rate of which things play is not 100% consistent either. Not super glaring but it's there.

Edit: After some more testing, it may be related to notes that sound exactly at the same time, it's pretty noticeable on Moonlight Sonata where actually most of the entire right hand is not played.
Edit2: Both latency and output consistency have improved by moving the Bluetooth dongle from my front panel USB to the main I/O in the back of my PC, seems pretty much perfect now. Might be a good recommendation in a future guide. Didn't fix the notes not playing, of course.