What midi sequencer do you use?

Share your original or public domain compositions here!
Request popular music with the suggestion form on the music store, not here!

All MIDI attachments must be one of the following:
  • Your own, original work submitted under some license that permits free private use (I recommend public domain or Creative Commons).
  • Adapted from works created prior to 1923. This goes for both the composition and arrangement. This means you cannot post MIDI versions of recent songs.
SmileyMusic

Post by SmileyMusic »

Which one works best with synthesia?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Well, anything that can make a MIDI file works fine with Synthesia. It probably comes down to preference after that...

I still use an ancient version of Cakewalk Express, personally. I learned how to use it many, many years ago so it's still more familiar to me than a lot of other software. A lot of people around here like MuseScore though and Anvil Studio is another good free choice.
thecoffeecan

Post by thecoffeecan »

Any sequencers will work well with synthesia. It depends on which sequencer do you prefer working with.

I personally use Anvil Studio ('cause I can't afford those premium sequencers). But getting pitch bend to work is a pain because I do not have a USB keyboard.
mdavis6890

Post by mdavis6890 »

I just got Synthesis and would like to know what sequencers you all like the best.

I've downloaded both mentioned in this thread, and neither of those seemed too appealing - at least for my immediate need.

I downloaded some otherwise very good drill lessons, but they badly need to be quantized. Anvil almost worked, but didn't do a good enough job, and it's very hard for me to manually move the notes around.

So what are my other good options? I don't mind paying a few bucks.

Michael
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

A couple other decent free editors are MuseScore and Finale Notepad. Though both of those are more focused on sheet music than anything. I didn't see any quantization options in MuseScore. Finale mentions it, but I think that's more on direct MIDI input vs. opening an existing piece.

There is a particular sequencing task that doesn't come up very often outside of trying to use a song with Synthesia: splitting and (to a lesser extent) merging tracks. Because I haven't found any sequencers out there that make splitting tracks to break the left and right hand apart into a dead-easy one-step process, I am expecting to release a free little tool during the next release cycle that will be able to do it.

Because quantization is also pretty important in Synthesia, I was expecting to include a small quantizing feature in the same tool.

That doesn't help you today, but hopefully in a few months there will be a ready solution.
Adams

Post by Adams »

Nicholas wrote:A couple other decent free editors are MuseScore and Finale Notepad. Though both of those are more focused on sheet music than anything. I didn't see any quantization options in MuseScore. Finale mentions it, but I think that's more on direct MIDI input vs. opening an existing piece.

There is a particular sequencing task that doesn't come up very often outside of trying to use a song with Synthesia: splitting and (to a lesser extent) merging tracks. Because I haven't found any sequencers out there that make splitting tracks to break the left and right hand apart into a dead-easy one-step process, I am expecting to release a free little tool during the next release cycle that will be able to do it.

Because quantization is also pretty important in Synthesia, I was expecting to include a small quantizing feature in the same tool.

That doesn't help you today, but hopefully in a few months there will be a ready solution.
Yes, I have many great midi file that I could use if they had 2 tracks. RH and LH. When splitting the single track using a mid sequencer, how should it be done. I tried to do it few times, but some arrangements are split in a way that I can't stretch my hand that far. Writing an algorithm to do this must be a nightmare. :roll:
nerdifant

Post by nerdifant »

Hello I am Marc and I started using Synthesia just recently.
So, my mom has some piano sheet music that I want to sequence to a midi file. Using Avil studio (I am new at this tool) it seems quite difficult to get a good Synthesia midi file.
Maybe someone has already an instruction for Anvil studio to do just that ?
Thx, regards, Marc
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Anvil Studio is kind of hard to work with. At least... at first glance. I never stuck around to use it very long.

The other, more traditional editors out there (that are also free!) feel a little better. Things like MuseScore, Finale Notepad, or Noteflight do a good job. And if you're more interested in messing around with all the MIDI internals, a (free!) sequencer like Sekaiju has a bit of a learning curve but comes with a tremendous amount of power.

Any one of those is a lot easier to use than Anvil in my opinion.
weaver

Post by weaver »

I also use Sekaiju MIDI editor. I tested several free ones and thought this one worked best:

http://sourceforge.jp/projects/openmidiproject/

And, here's a tutorial:

http://flaguser.com/2012/09/23/sekaiju- ... interface/

And, this program also works well for splitting notes into tracks.