Midi store suggestion

Share your original or public domain compositions here!
Request popular music with the suggestion form on the music store, not here!

All MIDI attachments must be one of the following:
  • Your own, original work submitted under some license that permits free private use (I recommend public domain or Creative Commons).
  • Adapted from works created prior to 1923. This goes for both the composition and arrangement. This means you cannot post MIDI versions of recent songs.
613Skier

Post by 613Skier » 01-17-14 9:57 pm

I like the idea of the midi store, but I think there ought to be a preview window of the midis available for purchase.

Everyone knows there are good versions of Midis out there, and some really bad ones. When I clicked on a link it showed a video of the original song not even in midi form.

Having no clue if you're purchasing a midi you'd enjoy playing, or not is problematic. Having some videos in sythensia game form like many other songs on youtube might be a way to spur sales.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 01-17-14 10:56 pm

Music copyright laws are really bizarre. Jim covered the answer the last time someone asked (in the last post on the page).

I wish I could add previews. :?

evamar

Post by evamar » 01-26-14 8:24 am

Hi, I have visited the music store, but was quite surprised to see that most songs are for several instruments.

Why not more piano solo covers? At the end of the day, the main purpose of Synthesia is playing the piano, is it not? No point in learning a song with several instruments as I wouldn't be able to play it without Synthesia.

Also it would help if you could indicate if the songs are piano solos or not in the cover page, I don't want to waste my time or getting excited about a song only to discover that it doesn't come as a piano solo.

Just my 2c

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 01-26-14 11:08 am

Each of the songs has been created (assuming you're playing the "piano arrangement" version) so you can turn off the background instruments and you'll still be playing the melody. So they serve two purposes: having fun with background instruments while you practice, and still being able to play something nice by yourself.

The "piano accompaniment" versions are the versions that require you to either sing along or have other background parts to get the complete picture.

It was specifically because of those competing goals ("I want to play the original piano part" vs. "I want it to sound like I'm playing the memorable part") that we try to include both arrangements with each purchase. That way you get everything and don't have to make any hard choices.

The only real limitation is that it's a couple extra steps to turn off all the background tracks in Synthesia. That could be made a few clicks faster so it wasn't as inconvenient.

evamar

Post by evamar » 01-26-14 12:57 pm

Hi Nicholas, thanks for your reply.

Are you saying that by turning off the other instruments I can actually play as a piano solo, so that they are not necessary at all for the song? Or only that the song will "still" sound decent and recognisable if all instruments but piano are turned off. I would like to play nice songs, not something just decent.

I understand that some people will want Synthesia to play along other instruments, but also I guess I am not the only one who would like to be able to play a digital/upright/grand piano outside their houses without a computer or tablet around, aiming to sound like playing a solo cover of a song, not just the melody and a few chords.

At least offering the option when purchasing the song, so that people can really choose what they want to play: piano arrangement, accompaniment or solo, last one normally being more difficult.

I simply think that one can "show off" a lot more with a solo, if you like, which makes the effort more rewarding.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 02-03-14 1:22 pm

evamar wrote:Are you saying that by turning off the other instruments I can actually play as a piano solo, so that they are not necessary at all for the song? Or only that the song will "still" sound decent and recognisable if all instruments but piano are turned off. I would like to play nice songs, not something just decent.
Well, the piano arrangements are designed to contain the song's melody but also to work with the background instruments. I can't claim they will work 100% as well as an arrangement designed to be a piano solo from the outset. (If you check out the free "Love is Strange" song and turn off all the background instruments, one or two short segments do end up silent, which isn't ideal.)
evamar wrote:At least offering the option when purchasing [...] piano arrangement, accompaniment or solo...
Today you don't have to choose between those first two: they're both included in the same price. I'd probably do the same if we started offering dedicated piano solos too. It's a much easier decision to buy if all versions are included simultaneously.

I'm actually interested in hearing from more people on this topic. The music store newsletter is going out to a healthy number of people now and that is exactly the right group of people whose opinion on the subject is interesting. I'm thinking of including a survey in the newsletter in the next month or two (with some incentive like free song giveaways to some percentage of respondents). Asking about their interest in piano-solo versions of songs -- and how difficult those solos should be tuned -- will be on the survey.