Automatically general sustain pedal on a MIDI file

Share your original or public domain compositions here!
Request popular music with the suggestion form on the music store, not here!

All MIDI attachments must be one of the following:
  • Your own, original work submitted under some license that permits free private use (I recommend public domain or Creative Commons).
  • Adapted from works created prior to 1923. This goes for both the composition and arrangement. This means you cannot post MIDI versions of recent songs.
Noxalus

Post by Noxalus »

Hello everyone :)

I'm currently trying to transcript a music that I love to export it into a MIDI file and play it using Synthesia. All notes are already there, but it's actually lacking of soul because there is no use of sustain pedal for now.

I use FL Studio for the transcription, and I know that I can play with damper events to make the sustain pedal effect, but it's pretty laborious to do so. That's why I would like to know if it exists a technique to automatically generate sustain pedal. I know there is no universal rule for that, but if I could at least apply the sustain pedal effect on the all track except at the end of every bar, it would save me a looooot of time.

How do you do? What software do you use?
stephenhazel

Post by stephenhazel »

any midi editor will do that. of which there are tons and don't ask me to help you pick out one.
but they won't put in hold pedal "automatically" as there's no one correct way.

cuz it's art. is there one correct velocity to use per note? no. is there one perfect set of tempo changes? no.

but it'll be more "laborious" to click it in than record it live, I bet.

Personally, I don't concern myself with songs that aren't on my "to practice" or "to learn some day" list.
And hold pedal, I'll do differently probably each time through as I learn more tricks.
IvanL

Post by IvanL »

You can easily add pedal marks with MuseScore (which is open source and free).

However MuseScore is not ideal for transcribing music by ear, so this can only help you if FL Studio can export to MIDI or MusicXML.

edit: I just saw that the latest version of MuseScore added new note input methods, which would make it far more suitable for transcribing music in!
Last edited by IvanL on 05-05-17 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
IvanL

Post by IvanL »

You could probably use automation to quickly draw a curve which denotes where sustain should be applied.
Search on YouTube for "fl studio automation".