is there a way to adjust acceptable note timing?

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Elfmaze

Post by Elfmaze »

I have seen that there might be a way to do this in windows where I play. But I mostly play in Melody as in rhythm the song gets too ahead of me. I have found in some Midis there might be a slight delay in a chord... ie an FAC chord... but the A was hit a few milliseconds before the F and C. If I don't memorize the way the track was recorded synthesia thinks(and possibly rightfully so) that I missed the chord and stops till I hit it again.

Is there a way to change an acceptable note timing delay to a few milliseconds to keep the song moving smoothly?
Elfmaze

Post by Elfmaze »

So no way of doing this or just not a popular topic?
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

AFAIK there is no way of adjusting the window for acceptable note timing.

My suggestion would be not to get too hung up on Synthesia's idea of what is right or wrong. If you are playing with MIDI files that were recorded rather than sequenced by hand, trying to match the rhythmic inaccuracies in the recorded MIDI is not going to help you become a better piano player. And if you want to develop good rhythmic playing accuracy based on sequenced MIDI files, I think Synthesia is too lenient.

My goal is to learn songs to play with other musicians. So I focus on memorizing the song and learning to listen to how I fit in with the other parts. I use Melody mode just long enough to sort of learn how the song goes. Then I switch to rhythm mode and slow down however much I have to so that I can play accurately. From there I work up the tempo to full speed or maybe somewhat beyond.

A lot of teachers will tell you that practicing slowly and accurately is the best way to improve. I have heard it said that the greatest value of practicing with a metronome is to keep you from playing too fast. It is very natural to play the parts you are comfortable with quickly and then slow down at the tricky parts. What you want to do is play everything however slowly you have to so that you can play the tricky parts correctly at that tempo. Through all of this you want to listen carefully to what you are playing and judge for yourself if you are playing on the beat.

As you might guess, I don't pay much attention to how Synthesia is scoring me. I pay attention to how I sound.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/