iPad and My Midi File

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
tecesynth

Post by tecesynth »

I have an iPad Air, recent model.

I unlocked Synthesia on the iPad via the Apple Store.

I converted a Piano version of a song from Youtube to a .mp3 file, and then converted that file to a .midi file, all on the iPad. I used the File Folder app to move the midi file from the Download folder to the Synthesia folder that has appeared on the IPad.

This version of IOS does not use iTunes, and therefore the instructions from Settings don't apply to 'Sharing Files using iTunes' for the iPad any more.

The bottom line is that I can't seem to get Synthesia to see the midi file I have created and moved into the Synthesia folder on the iPad.

Seems like the online Synthesia instructions don't apply to this version of IOS (latest)? How do I add this song to my Synthesia choice.

The midi to USB-C connection works great on my Kawai C-65 keyboard in Synthesia.

Tony

Edit: I wonder if it is the extension I put on the created midi file? I called it Riders.midi. Was that a wrong extension?
Tony on Synthesia
tecesynth

Post by tecesynth »

It was the file extension issue.

It does have to be <filename>.mid

And one does not have to use iTunes file sharing on the iPad. Simply open the File Folder app, select the .mid file, and then select

Open in Synthesia

The process was overall a failure. The resulting midi file has 20+ notes per line. So it is far from the simple Synthesia standard. Impossible to follow along.

Any suggestions there?
Tony on Synthesia
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

tecesynth wrote: 04-22-21 8:21 pmThe process was overall a failure. The resulting midi file has 20+ notes per line.
Automatic conversion apps usually produce unusably bad results like those. I've never found one I've been able to (even remotely) recommend.

It's not the answer you're probably looking for, but finding a version that is already in something closer to a "digital sheet music"-style format (or even keying it in yourself in one of the free music editing apps--like MuseScore) will essentially always produce better results.
tecesynth

Post by tecesynth »

Thanks for the reply, disappointing though it may be.

I'm willing to pay the subscription fee, if I can find out if various songs/scores I'm interested in learning are available, before paying the fee.

Is that possible to check?
Tony on Synthesia
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Even the trial will load any songs you're able to find or create. The limitation is that only the first 20 seconds can be played. Although, the preview from the little bar at the top of the song list screen will play the whole thing all the way through.

Even better news: Synthesia isn't a subscription. It's just a one-time purchase that lasts forever. (We have users that made their purchase in 2007 that are still enjoying each new update as it's released without paying for anything else.)