Couple UI/feature request questions.

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
nesvarbu

Post by nesvarbu »

Hi,

I know that you can drag and drop the fingering onto the bars and have them display which is great, I use that a lot when learning a piece. However I wanted to get more into the music sheet reading and if I disable the bars and only have a music sheet view, there are no finger numbering anymore. I was wondering is there any way to display finger number hints on the music sheet view? If not, it would be really nice feature to add.
Kind of related (but also not really), when I select a section for the loop, I can see how much time I'm behind on each loop when I'm learning a section, which is amazing (shows you an objective progress and motivates you to keep going). However there is no way (as far as I know) to display that in music sheet view, which would be also great to add, not sure where exactly, but... anywhere would be great :D

Thanks
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

As part of the work leading to Synthesia 11, I'm hoping to get finger hints showing up on the sheet music soon. There aren't any plans to allow editing the hints from the sheet music (mostly because I haven't come up with a nice way to make that feel like a good interaction on a touch screen). But if you've set them from the falling note view or imported a MusicXML file that already contains them, the hints will eventually show up in the sheet music view automatically.
nesvarbu

Post by nesvarbu »

Yay! 8-)
I think editing in falling notes view is completely fine. You edit once or twice on a song, but you practice... 1000s of times :)

What about the timings/accuracy in the sheet view? It really helps with oh I see a real progress between each loop? :lol:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

nesvarbu wrote: 10-26-21 11:51 am... which would be also great to add, not sure where exactly, but...
The "not sure where" part is what I've struggled with, too. With the combination of possible screen/window sizes that people are allowed to use and the range of sheet music size (giant!) they can choose, it's hard to guarantee even a single measure can fit on the screen all at once. To try and add floating information displays on top of that gets tricky fast.

I've tried to imagine a not-floating display: maybe a long, horizontal information bar that is added just above the sheet music? That doesn't make it very easy to read (because things wouldn't be aligned like a table, but read straight across), but it would be better than taking up a big chunk of screen real-estate, right? Maybe?

It's an open question at the moment.
nesvarbu

Post by nesvarbu »

Nicholas wrote: 11-03-21 11:50 am
The "not sure where" part is what I've struggled with, too. With the combination of possible screen/window sizes that people are allowed to use and the range of sheet music size (giant!) they can choose, it's hard to guarantee even a single measure can fit on the screen all at once. To try and add floating information displays on top of that gets tricky fast.

I've tried to imagine a not-floating display: maybe a long, horizontal information bar that is added just above the sheet music? That doesn't make it very easy to read (because things wouldn't be aligned like a table, but read straight across), but it would be better than taking up a big chunk of screen real-estate, right? Maybe?

It's an open question at the moment.
I looked again while playing today and for the sheet music, the latter seems to be better solution instead of having columns (table) have it in rows (as you mentioned), maybe instead of the progress bar (which doesn't make much sense in sheet music since you see most of it anyway, and you probably don't care how long the song is or your current position when you learning a loop).
Other option to have it as an option, if you are willing sacrifice quite some area of your screen.
Nicholas wrote: 10-27-21 7:38 pm There aren't any plans to allow editing the hints from the sheet music (mostly because I haven't come up with a nice way to make that feel like a good interaction on a touch screen).
One of the options for the touch screen could be, just click on the note and it would pop up a dialog where you can type in a label (number, or a note name). Though that could be tricky for chords, try to push correct note with your fat finger then 3 of them are together :anxious:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

nesvarbu wrote: 11-05-21 12:19 amThough that could be tricky for chords, try to push correct note with your fat finger then 3 of them are together :anxious:
Yeah, that's the key tricky part. The recommendation for touch input is to keep anything a user might have to tap on large enough that it won't be frustrating. If everyone had a stylus/pencil type thing, this would be a non-issue, but the notes in sheet music--even at the largest possible size--are still pretty small.