Casio LK-S450 Key lights supports

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
dannynyc

Post by dannynyc »

Hello, I recently purchased a Casio LK-S450 and I'm trying to get the Key lights to work in Synthesia.
I tried the "Propietary 2" Key light setting in the Synthesia settings menu. This is the communication method
that the Casio LK-S250 uses, but it did not work for me. I also tried the rest of the Key lighting method choices in Synthesia, but none of them worked with the LK-S450.

I have the Casio Chordana App on one of my tablets, which can light up the keys when I connect the tablet to the piano via USB OTG cable, in case this is helpful info to the developers of Synthesia.

Could someone please help me to get it working?

Thank you,
Daniel
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

In the LK-S450 manual, PDF page 149 (printed page EN-148) describes the following items in the SETTING menu:
MIDI In Navigate -- Can be used to it possible to enable use of the NAVIGATE function that causes Keyboard Lighting to be controlled by MIDI IN note messages. -- Off, Listen, Right Hand Off, Left Hand Off, Both Hand Off (Initial Default: Off)

MIDI In Navigate Channel Right Hand (MIDI In Navi Ch Right) -- Can be used to change the channel of the note message that operates as the right-hand melody for the NAVIGATE function. -- 1 to 16 (Initial Default: 4)

MIDI In Navigate Channel Left Hand (MIDI In Navi Ch Left) -- Can be used to change the channel of the note message that operates as the left-hand melody for the NAVIGATE function. -- 1 to 16 (Initial Default: 3)
Try changing the "MIDI In Navigate" setting to something other than Off. Then set Synthesia to use the same channel for key lights as the "MIDI In Navigate Channel Right Hand" or "MIDI In Navigate Channel Left Hand".

I don't understand the exact meaning of the different Navigate settings (Listen, Right Hand Off, Left Hand Off, Both Hand Off). Perhaps they change how the right channel notes or left channel notes are lit on the keyboard somehow?

For example, this Casiotone LK-S450 Tutorial Video section about the "Easy Mode / Lesson Function" describes the lesson modes that wait for you to press a key use a blinking light to indicate the key to press. Maybe the different Navigate modes cause the key lights to either be steady or blink?

• UPDATE 2022-12-01: Based on the manual of another Casio keyboard with similar settings (the Casio CT-X700), it sounds like these settings can mute the sound of notes sent on the key light channels. "Listen" means notes sent on the key light channels will still sound. "Right Hand Off", "Left Hand Off", or "Both Hand Off" will mute the sound of notes sent on one or both of the key light channels.
Last edited by Bavi_H on 12-01-22 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
dannynyc

Post by dannynyc »

Hi Bavi_H,

Thank you so much! After turning on Midi In Navigate, the Channel 3 setting works great and now Synthesia is working flawlessly with the Casio LK-S450!

Greatly appreciate your response and help.

Daniel