How to show key signature as a minor key?

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
TheNoSwearGuy

Post by TheNoSwearGuy »

The text at the bottom-left of the screen, the one displaying the key signature the piece is in, always shows up as a major key for me. Does anyone know how to make it show up as a minor key?

Here's an example: Image

The text circled in red, shows up as "Ab Major," but I want it to show up as "F Minor." Help please?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The Major/minor flag is stored as part of each key signature MIDI event inside the file.

You music editing app should have a choice to choose between major or minor when setting a key signature. That said, I know not all apps have this. The "should" there was the important part. It actually seems to be fairly rare.
TheNoSwearGuy

Post by TheNoSwearGuy »

I use Noteflight, and I choose the minor key, but it shows up as a major key in synthesia :/
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

I signed up on Noteflight to test. When you export a MIDI file from Noteflight, it looks like it always marks the key signature as major in the MIDI file, even if you selected a minor key in Noteflight.

Possible workarounds:

A. You can export a MusicXML file from Noteflight then open the MusicXML file in Synthesia. The MusicXML export from Noteflight will include the minor key and Synthesia will show the minor key. However, be aware that Synthesia's support for MusicXML is in a beginning stage. From the Syntehsia home page news section:
Spoiler:
Synthesia 10.8, Oct-31-2021
MusicXML files can now be opened by Synthesia!

For now, none of the additional musical information (vs. a MIDI file) is being used when drawing sheet music. But MusicXML files should load, play, and sound correct. We'll be using the newly available musical information to improve the sheet music over the next several updates. If you spot something that doesn't sound correct, please let us know!
B. You can export a MIDI file from Noteflight, then use a MIDI file editor to change the key signature to a minor key.

If you are on a Windows operating system, you can use Sekaiju to change the key signature as follows:
Spoiler:
1. In the Track List window, right click in the area above the measure numbers, then choose "Modify Key Signature":
  • sekaiju1.png
    sekaiju1.png (18.06 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
2. In the "Major or minor" drop down box, choose "minor":
  • sekaiju2.png
    sekaiju2.png (3.69 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

(Also, just to make sure you're aware: You can tell Synthesia to hide the key signature display text. On the falling notes screen, click the bookmark icon, then turn off the "Key Signatures" setting.)