HowTo: Using TiMidity++ to improve your Windows MIDI output

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Never mind about my problem. But hey, you can also open tmsyng, rightclick taskbar icon > Change synthesizer thread priority > highest (may not have much effect on slow computers)
Bissrok

Post by Bissrok »

I'm having some trouble setting this up. I've gotten it to work twice before, but something's not working on my new system.

I drag the FluidR3 GM/GS.sfArk files onto my sfArk shortcut and it automatically uncompresses them, but instead of an exe file it generates a .SF2 file. I tried throwing that in my /timidity folder (along with the config file), and the Timidity++ Driver shows up in my Output Devices options, but I hear no sounds when I use the Test feature or when I run a song.

Thoughts?
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Headphones/speakers not working properly?
"And now for something completely different."
Bissrok

Post by Bissrok »

DC64 wrote:Headphones/speakers not working properly?
It works fine when I switch it back to my default output. I think I screwed something up in uncompressing the Fluid files.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

...back to my problem; I downloaded sfArk v2.15 (direct download for Windows here) and am trying right now to unpack the .sfark files with that. 'till now it's going great. I am still waiting untill that progress bar reaches the finish. It's really slow but at least I'm getting finally some progress 'rite now. -EDIT- Yay it finished! I finally got the SF2! At last! :D -EDIT2- And hopefully it was worth the wait... :(

Edit4: SUDDENLY... LATENCY. A LOT OF LATENCY.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

So, wich one of these am i supposed to download that:
- seem like the best one
- no lateness on notes

Edit: I downloaded Timidity++ and yes it is really slow, and theres no damper half the time.

Edit 2: I found out how to make it better! :)
Go to TWSYNTH GUI to prefences, go to synthesizer and change the 500 to 1
(for those who did this before go from 100 to 1)
I know this is like the last steps on making it better on the first post but i am adding a fix myself.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

BTW, why so difficult? Why just not set Gameplay.LoopExtraRollback to lower value? Or will this mess up the twsyng?
DC64

Post by DC64 »

For me if it means i can save space and edit by myself correctly than i am okay,
unless the program is very interconnected to itself then i will do that.
The only reason is i know what has happened and how to back-track myself from a huge mess-up.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Does anyone know where the soundfont of the Windows (XP or higher) MIDI Wavetable is located? Or a better question; where are is the .CAB of the Plug 'n Play Drivers?
By the way, how can I swap the MIDI output (sound) to other programs except synthesizers? Like to VLC.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Finally I got Timidity latancy reduced. I run'd it in Compatibility Mode XP SP2 and set it back to 256.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

What is wierd is when i press Timidity++ in Synthesia as my output, i hear a small faint noise (like electric fuzz)
and if i play any song/prevew before that has stoped then i get latency.
When i wait for it to end, (a few seconds later) then i get little to no latency.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Yeah, then you have to kill twsyng's process and run it again after you've closed Synthesia and chosen the MS Wavetable. Then it goes as normal. :)
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

aria1121 wrote:Edit4: SUDDENLY... LATENCY. A LOT OF LATENCY.
Back to this, everytime I start Synthesia, Timidity lags (latency) a lot, while I set the Properties\Synthesizer\Compute_Max_Time_msec of Timidity a lower everytime. What's going wrong?
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Nicholas, there were some problems with the cfg file you posted. Some instruments sound way out of pitch (flute-section). So I used instead a whoule list of soundfont-settings, just
soundfont "Path/Name"
and that solved it.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

I now understand that some people totally hate the Microsoft Wavetable.
The MSW (for short) operates in 90% of the cases (citation needed) correctly and has no latency, but it sounds way more synthetic, when compared to Timidity using FluidR3GS.

What more is there to complain about the MSW?
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Not shure, but all of a sudden, Timidity++ is not showing up in Synthesia as an output anymore.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

It has been for a bit, what is new for the features?