Upcoming 0.6.2 Features

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The following list was briefly covered on the Synthesia website, but I'll go into more detail here.

Software Keyboard
The default "input device" choice will become the new "Software Keyboard" which will map your computer keyboard to MIDI note input. The ASDF row will be used for white keys and the QWERTY row will be used for black. The convention established in the Mac's GarageBand will be used. (ASDF = CDEF. WE TYU = C# D# F# G# A#.)

The game will remain focused on users with MIDI keyboards, but this gives new players a chance to try the game out before deciding to purchase new equipment.

Rewind / Fast-Forward During Play
This one is by popular request. Hot-keys will be added that will allow a quick 5-second jog forward or backward in the song. I haven't decided how the player's score should be adjusted.

New Visual Effects
Each menu screen will transition to the next with a fast "slide" effect. While hitting notes correctly, there will be a particle-system-based spark effect where the note meets the keyboard. I'm thinking about using the same new particle effect system to enhance player feedback when clicking on UI elements.

Top scores list for each song you play
After a song, your score will be displayed on a top-ten list of scores for that song so you can keep track of your progress. This will work with any song you play in the game -- included or found on the Internet. (Renaming, moving, or otherwise re-organizing your files won't break the scoreboard for that song either.)

Automatic Format-0 to Format-1 Conversion
Much of the MIDI found in the wild on the Internet is stored in something known as MIDI format-0. Format-0 songs squash all instruments and notes into a single track. This is less than ideal for Synthesia players because they must choose to play the entire file all-at-once or not-at-all.

Format-1 MIDI songs allow multiple tracks that the Synthesia track selection screen can operate on. This new feature will convert format-0 songs (or even format-1 songs with more than one instrument in a track) to completely split-up "one instrument per track" songs. This allows the maximum flexibility for the player.

And More!
I've actually got another 10 or so features on my list for 0.6.2, but most of them are under-the-hood changes in preparation for some (really exciting) future stuff I have planned.
angedelamort

Post by angedelamort »

Warm-Up Exercises and Beginner Music
Really interesting feature :) Can't wait for this new version.
roudy000
Synthesia Multiple Donor!

Post by roudy000 »

Wow cant wait for this program to evolve, and I'm proud to be one of the first (actually the first ;) ) to participate in this forum! lol
JohnnyTee

Post by JohnnyTee »

Sounds like some excellent things are on the horizon. I definitely look forward to checking out any new toys (features) that you have in store.

BTW. Love the new look.
Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow.
maccer

Post by maccer »

Yee-haa!

Keep the features coming! Especially the rewind/fast forward one! ;)
Songs learned using Synthesia:
CT: Wind Scene, The Trial | FF7: Prelude | SMB: Overworld, Underwater | Tetris: Theme A | Zelda: Lost Woods | Other: Für Elise
jamma

Post by jamma »

Software Keyboard
The default "input device" choice will become the new "Software Keyboard" which will map your computer keyboard to MIDI note input. The ASDF row will be used for white keys and the QWERTY row will be used for black. The convention established in the Mac's GarageBand will be used. (ASDF = CDEF. WE TYU = C# D# F# G# A#.)
Please please give the option to remap this so people who don't use QWERTY keyboard can use it too.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

It won't be pretty in 0.6.2 (probably a (Windows) registry or (Mac) plist setting), but I'll support non-QWERTY. In the future, I should be able to dress it up a little more.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Due to a scheduling conflict, I won't be able to complete the Warm-Up Exercises and Beginner Music feature before the 0.6.2 release date.

To make up for it, I'll be swapping it out for a feature that is about the same size and has a similar number of requests: Top scores list for each song you play. I edited the first post, so the description is above.

(Exercises and beginner music will be coming in the following 0.6.3 release now.)
Aken

Post by Aken »

I can't wait for your update with the staff view ^^