Alternate Language Software Keyboard Mappings

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Caution: The posts below this one refer to a >10 years old method that no longer works. This first post has the "new" instructions (since 2010).

The following have been provided by the community to setup the in-game software keyboard to use different language (typing) keyboards. I can't test these myself, so they're provided as-is, but hopefully they'll be useful.

If you would like to provide a mapping for another keyboard, post here and I'll keep the top-post updated.

Instructions:
  1. Hold your Shift key while launching Synthesia.
  2. Select "System.SoftwareKeyboardMapping" from the list.
  3. Paste any of the following into the "Value" box.
That's it. The next time you run Synthesia after closing the config tool, the software keyboard should be bound to the correct keys for your keyboard.

NOTE: If your new mapping uses the Z or X keys, you may also need to adjust the "Shift Input Octave Up/Down" shortcuts on the Settings → Shortcuts screen inside Synthesia.

US/UK English (default):

Code: Select all

awsedftgyhujkolp;'
German AZERTY keyboards:

qzsedftgyhujkolp;
German QWERTZ keyboards:

awsedftgzhujkolpöä
Swedish keyboards:

awsedftgyhujkolpöä
Danish keyboards:

awsedftgyhujkolpæø
Italian keyboards:

awsedftgyhujkolpòà
French keyboards:

qzsedftgyhujkolpmù
tommai78101

Post by tommai78101 »

Here's a reference to most keymapping layouts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout
Hardware Information: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20GHz / 2.21 GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 2070 / Nvidia GTX 1060 dual-GPU, Roland FP-10, MIDI-OX + LoopMIDI combo.
Michael
Synthesia Donor

Post by Michael »

As far as I know has Germany QWERTZ keyboards. So I made a keymap for it (dunno if it is 100% correct but I'm really confident it is).
synthesia_german_qwertz_keyboard.reg
German QWERTZ keyboards
(266 Bytes) Downloaded 2657 times
Okay also made a US DVORAK keymap.
synthesia_us_dvorak_keyboard.reg
US Dvorak (Dvorak Simplified) keyboards
(130 Bytes) Downloaded 2534 times
febs

Post by febs »

Here's a working file for italian keyboards. So far I haven't seen any other layout than this on any PC in all of my life; so I think this one will work for everybody.

Thanks
Attachments
synthesia_it_keyboard.reg
synthesia keyboard registry file for italian PC keyboards
(132 Bytes) Downloaded 2201 times
jexbe

Post by jexbe »

ONLY FOR WINDOWS
Open the notepad and copy all text below (without lines):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synthesia]
"Software Keyboard Mapping"="123456789ABCDEFGHIJK"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
paste it in the notepad
setup your keyboard as you wich like this (just replace letters by keys to be used)
letters JK will change the keys position (J=left - K=right)

save this file as Keyboard.reg then double click to activate it
Attachments
layout
layout
keybrd.jpg (29.56 KiB) Viewed 147158 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Let me add how to update these on a Mac, too. All you have to do is open a terminal window and type the following (using the same scheme from the image above):

defaults write com.synthesia "Software Keyboard Mapping" "123456789ABCDEFGHIJK"
Obviously you'll want to replace the "1234..." part with the actual keys on your keyboard you'd like to press.
cairnz

Post by cairnz »

doing this in osx

defaults write com.synthesia "Software Keyboard Mapping" "awsedftgyhujkolpøæzx"
results in this from defaults read com.synthesia

"Software Keyboard Mapping" = "awsedftgyhujkolp\\U00f8\\U00e6zx";
Looking at the .plist i see this

mido^P^T^@a^@w^@s^@e^@d^@f^@t^@g^@y^@h^@u^@j^@k^@o^@l^@p^@ø^@æ^@z^@x^@^H^@K^@Z^@d^@q^@<89>^@<9e>^@²^@Í^@Ú^@ï^A^K^A&^A;^AE^AS^Al^A<80>^A<95>^A­^AÈ^AÞ^Aô^B^O^B0^BL^Bh^B<81>^B<97>^B¤^B»^BÑ^Bí^C^C^C^E^C  ^C%^CC^CJ^Ca^Cc^Cº^@^@^@^@^@^@^B^A^@^@^@^@^@^@^@*^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^Cå
As you can see the ø and æ is in the plist (when viewed through vi)

I'm downloading the developer tools now, so to try the plist edit thing gui, maybe it doesn't translate the unicode crap like terminal does.
Last edited by cairnz on 06-15-10 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cairnz

Post by cairnz »

That didn't help much either. Keyboard playing on my shiny macbookpro can't access the higher two whites. :sad:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm... I wonder if it's an encoding thing. If there is some alternative to the \\U00xx notation... I'll have to peek around.

Eventually when I make it to "User-assignable Input" (currently #7 on the list), I guess I'll have to store key codes or something instead of the characters. If anything, it'll have to get more sophisticated because you'll be able to assign MIDI controllers (knobs, jogs, wheels, etc.) and (maybe) even game controller input to whatever. So, it'll be a more interesting construct storing this stuff to begin with.
cairnz

Post by cairnz »

I've only had the mac for a day and a half so i haven't figured out all the quirks yet, but in windows you can have multiple languages defined and per-application layout setting. Is there anything similar to mac? if so, I could set it to be US layout so that the keys "translate" to the same as the default setup.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

cairnz wrote:... in windows you can have multiple languages defined and per-application layout setting. Is there anything similar to mac?
That's a fine question for someone that knows more about OS X than I do. ;)
cairnz

Post by cairnz »

I added the US keyboard, started synthesia, tasked out, changed the norwegian flag to USA flag and ; and ' is now getting typed instead of ø and æ. Not too convenient, but nevertheless it's a workaround :)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hehe, that's a super inconvenient work-around. :o
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

(Updated the top-post with new instructions now that the config tool exists and makes this easy and uniform on both platforms.)
Strainer

Post by Strainer »

The keyboard mapping for germany has one mistake, the z button is mapped twice, here is the correct version:

awsedftgzhujkolpöäyx
Greets
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks for the correction! I fixed it in the top post.
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Hello everyone
Keyboard mapping for french keyboards

qzsedftgyhujkolpmùwx
Stuff & experiments for Synthesia: Gramp v0.2SkinboxFireSynthVideoWebradio
Toxic338

Post by Toxic338 »

It seems I am too stupid to do that. ^^ Well, there is no "System.SoftwareKeyboardMapping"... I don't find it at the Advanced Options. There are only:
"Bank Selcet" Fix
SysEx messages
Discard notes that never end
Use a unique channel.... AND
"Hard" reset MIDI

PLeeeeease help me, I need the german keyboard... That's annoying -.-
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Toxic338 wrote:I don't find it at the Advanced Options.
There should be a scrollbar on that list. There are dozens and dozens of advanced options. The software keyboard one is near the bottom.
Toxic338

Post by Toxic338 »

No, there isn't... ':(