The Software is feeling really solid!~

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
phiktion

Post by phiktion »

I was using the new version on Windows when it was in beta still and it was still a bit buggy, I moved over to Mac right as the version released and I am very impressed with the flow of everything, love the search bar when I don't want to search for things, like the new keyboard setup you can do, its feeling very, very professional now.

Thanks for this great program!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

phiktion wrote:...love the search bar when I don't want to search for things
This is funny... though I knew what you meant. ;)

But yeah, things are really coming along. For years I've had ideas in my head that I wished I could get out there. This actually only feels like the beginning to me though. Many of the things you mentioned are just the real basic features you'd expect any program like this to have. I have wilder ideas (2.0) I'd like to entertain once the basic infrastructure is there (1.0).
phiktion

Post by phiktion »

You need to see about having your own indie team of software programmers to help you out because this program could become the standard for learning piano on a computer, I have tried lots of software and nothing is as solid as your program right now.
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Right now,
phiktion wrote:You need to see about having your own indie team of software programmers to help you
Nicholas has a team. He has an assistant doing test with Synthesia, ... his cat.

After this joke, (but it's true his cat is helping him), I hope he can live from Synthesia very well and he can spend more time in this Project and not only using the time for his personal life. Also the last months he is working more than ever and it look his full time working in the game. :shock:
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

vicentefer31 wrote:Also the last months he is working more than ever and it look his full time working in the game. :shock:
What you're seeing right now is maybe 80% or so of the maximum output I'll ever be able to produce on Synthesia (with just me and my assistant).

Even in a world where I'm able to leave my current day-job and spend all my time working on Synthesia, the definition of "all my time" would have to change a little. To use a driving analogy: right now I've got the RPM gauge in the red, pushing my little programming engine harder than I should. It's a sprint until October/end-of-the-year, so that's alright. If Synthesia became an every-day, forever thing, I'd have to choose a pace that was a little more sustainable so I don't burn out. Of course, I'd have 40 more hours a week (plus about 4 for travel) to work with, which is where a little extra output would be made up.

I'd be able to work on it full time and still have a life. How cool would that be? :D
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

I really hope this will happen!
I think this can become a really big hit. You should use us for promoting this with youtube etc.
Maybe I can become piano teacher and promote it to all my pupils :D

I only don't know if synthesia is the right name.. You know guitar hero is a name that's selling,
I know you can't call it piano hero, but something more 'cool' will sell better I think.

But that are problems for over three months :P
English was my worst subject on school, so my language could be a bit awkward sometimes...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Kasper wrote:I only don't know if synthesia is the right name..
Really? I love the name. Out of everything that was submitted for the name contest, it was between Oktav and Claviro... until I got the Synthesia entry. After that it was only Synthesia. ;)
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Well, I love the name too, but I don't know if it's commercially working, it's not as catchy as something as guitar hero.
English was my worst subject on school, so my language could be a bit awkward sometimes...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I probably keep my eye on it more than most, but the more I poke around the web, the more often it looks like it's being recognized. (Historically, if one person would have mentioned Synthesia I would have been impressed. Now there is a whole little thread about it on that reddit article.)

Also, it seems to be propagating (like wild fire!) across YouTube. Granted, I haven't ever stumbled on a Synthesia-based video without searching for it first... but once you get there, it's all you'll see for pages and pages of videos.

It takes a little while to build a brand, but a lot of people here know the names "Sibelius" or "Finale" when they otherwise have even less to do with music than the name Synthesia does. We're getting there. :D