BASSMIDI Driver

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Ah, ok. But should I change the standard playback device at BASSMIDI or at the Config Panel?

BTW: This is my 1000th post! yay! :mrgreen:
RichNagel

Post by RichNagel »

aria1121 wrote:Ah, ok. But should I change the standard playback device at BASSMIDI or at the Config Panel?
It shouldn't matter... as long as the setting seems to keep (or "stick").
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Happy 1000! :D
Youradopted.jpg
Youradopted.jpg (21.42 KiB) Viewed 104771 times
"And now for something completely different."
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

But yea, if you don't own enough RAM, BASSMIDI kinda ruins it, especially when there are lots of notes to play and lotsa velocity-changing instrument.
RichNagel

Post by RichNagel »

aria1121 wrote:But yea, if you don't own enough RAM, BASSMIDI kinda ruins it, especially when there are lots of notes to play and lotsa velocity-changing instrument.
What is the specs of your PC? Mine is no speed demon whatsoever (especially by today's standards).

I have (still for the most part) a Dell Dimension 4600; Intel P4 2.666Ghz, 768MB RAM, Sound Blaster Live Value (CT4780), running Windows XP Pro with SP3. I use my custom SoundFont mentioned previously (WeedsGM3, about 55MB), and rarely see (hear) the problem in question. Most of the time it works fairly well (even when playing games using "DOSBox").

If I'm MIDI sequencing (using Cakewalk Pro v3.01), I never see/hear the problem... always seems to work smooth when I'm using my sequencer.
RichNagel

Post by RichNagel »

RichNagel wrote:The BASSMIDI Driver's latency is so low, you can hardly hear it (I don't have any specs on it, but if I had to guess, I'd say around 5 milliseconds or so).
Hehe, did a few tests on my own... yep, pretty close to 5 milliseconds :)
Hardware Verses BASSMIDI Driver Latency: Approx. 50 miliseconds
Hardware Verses BASSMIDI Driver Latency: Approx. 50 miliseconds
Hardware_Verses_BASSMIDI_Driver_Latency.gif (18.79 KiB) Viewed 104765 times
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

All the specs of my laggish computer:

It's a ASUS PR05DI laptop.
Intel Core2Duo T3300 (Dual Celeron Chipset) @ 2.00GHz 64KB caches Socket 478 Family 6 Model 23 Level 10 (1.024KB L3 cache) CPU, 2.016 MB RAM (57% currently used), Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family 60Hz Raster Display 96DPI 32CBPP 1CDPP 1366x768x32 with DirectX11, 250GB NTFS HDD (75GB for C: / 205GB for D:)
Running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 6.1.7600 with Timidity++, BASSMIDI and afcourse the Microsoft GS MIDI Wavetable Synth, using FluidR3GM.SF2.

This laptop I got from school as a project. So yeah, they don't give us directly the latest MacBook but these laptops. I decided to use this laptop for Synthesia and that stuff because it is the best computer I currently own.
Anyway it still isn't perfect for the programs like Microsoft Lightswitch (Visual 2010), Paint.NET, Red Alert 2 and Synthesia. And I don't take the risk for a CPU-meltdown by overclocking it 'cuz I don't trust this laptop much.

So Nicholas' quote: ,,Get a new computer'' never gets old ;)
RichNagel

Post by RichNagel »

aria1121 wrote: Anyway it still isn't perfect for the programs like
---snip---
Red Alert 2
I'd say that if it can't run RA2 smoothly, then it prolly would have stutters with the BASSMIDI Driver as well.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

No it runs great, no problems with it. Only BASSMIDI.

btw lol do you play RA2 too?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Red Alert 2 was an awesome game... 11 years ago. :D
RichNagel

Post by RichNagel »

Red Alert 2??? What the heck is that????

Hehe, I'm still playing the old DOS Red Alert (1) and original Command and Conquer even today :)
stephenhazel

Post by stephenhazel »

Hmmm, is it just me, or has
http://mudlord.emuxhaven.net/stuff/bassmididrv.exe
disappeared?

http://mudlord.emuxhaven.net/stuff seems to be gone altogether...??

I have a midi sequencer that seeeems to be choking on bassmidi.
I'm still trying to figure out why and so far only blame my own dang app.

Also, if bassmidi is based on Timidity source, shouldn't bassmidi's source be available?
I see only a .dll that a bunch of example apps and
the installer user. No source to the .dll itself (that I can see).
I'd kinda like to check it out, is all :)

but where did bassmididrv.exe goes ??
RichNagel

Post by RichNagel »

Hmm... that's really strange. Seems the the whole site has gone wayward. Maybe he's updating the site, and it's temporarily down.
RichNagel

Post by RichNagel »

aria1121 wrote:Do you mean only the link changed or also a newer version?
Both. But bear in mind (like previously), the driver itself is the same... only the installer and configuration utility is updated (for folks having problems getting the driver to "stick" in WinDoZe).

Also he changed the installer and some of it's included files so's that most anti-virus programs won't gripe -> http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/rep ... 1303276373