Synthesia - License type?

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Leopoldinho

Post by Leopoldinho »

I'm considering buying the license, is this license lifetime? or does it last only for a few versions?

Leopoldinho

Post by Leopoldinho »

Forget it, i purchased the license today and:
Remember this key will work in all future versions of the game and continue to unlock new features that don't even exist yet!
Yay :D
Oldrich

Post by Oldrich »

I just wonder. Is it a sustainable type of licence? It sounds good to buy a "lifetime" or "forever" licenced software but I would believe that no company can sustain with such a licence in a long term. The only product I know of is Total Commander and that is a completely different piece of software which has much wider audience.

Why do I talk about it? I do not wish to see any slow down or even death of the software just because of the wrong licence policy :wink:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

It's certainly a valid question. And someday I might have to seek some additional revenue streams... but for the time being, business is incredibly(!) consistent. Kind of eerily consistent, actually.

The way I like to look at it is this: let's say there are 10 million piano players in the United States (completely omitting the rest of the world despite a pretty large percentage of my sales coming from outside the US). Of those 10 million, let's say I'm able to entice 5% of them to buy the Learning Pack. That's a half-million purchases. Without ever increasing the Learning Pack price ever again, that ends up being something like $12M (after payment processor fees).

Because I run a one-man operation... and a super-low overhead one at that, that is (many multiples) more than I need for the rest of my life. So, those lifetime purchases are actually plenty to sustain me for the rest of my lifetime.

This works because of the ratio. One person vs. the entire Internet. If Synthesia were a larger company, it wouldn't work. It's a trade-off. Slightly slower progress for a much better deal. ;)

Now I just need to convince that 5% of all piano users to actually make the purchase. ;)
LRRP

Post by LRRP »

Hello:

I'm new here - first post. I want to buy the "Learning Pack" but have a question first.
I build my own computers. It's a hobby in it's own right. I ugrade motherboard's, CPU's, Hard Drive's, operating system's, etc. quite often. When I do my next new build, planned for approx. Feb. - March, I will need to do a fresh install of Windows and all my program's. If I purchase the "Learning Pack" now will the unlocking "Key" work for me on future build's? I certainly wouldn't pay for a new unlocking key every time I upgrade my computer.
prankie

Post by prankie »

You get a personal key that can be installed on all your computers.
LRRP

Post by LRRP »

prankie wrote:You get a personal key that can be installed on all your computers.
Thank You!