How to use your non-MIDI instrument along with your computer

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

For latency unless to buy a pro soundcard u can't be under 100 150 ms i think even with asio for all.
But it's cheaper to buy a midi cable and if u want to sing in Synthesia well plug in to you're mouth :>
To Nicholas quicktime sound is not bad but real titanic or papelmedia are really better i have tested...
thortheneophile

Post by thortheneophile »

I really like the sound of this thread. I am certainly going to try it with my desktop and violin sometime when I get home. I was honestly thinking of trying to program something like this myself because I really want to make a Rocksmith-like program for the violin but doing it with Synthesia would be nearly as good.
I would prefer to be able to make a skin or mod for Synthesia so that non-midi and non-piano instruments could be supported directly. That would be so sweet!
RPG

Post by RPG »

aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

100 USD? I don't think so. I can come up with even better methods than what is described in this thread worth even less than 30 euro of parts, currently thinking about it.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

guys u says qicktime sound is great on mac any sound exemple?
Because on windows it sucks (better than microsft wavetable but sucks anyway^^)
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

kiwi wrote:For latency unless to buy a pro soundcard u can't be under 100 150 ms i think even with asio for all.
But it's cheaper to buy a midi cable and if u want to sing in Synthesia well plug in to you're mouth :>
To Nicholas quicktime sound is not bad but real titanic or papelmedia are really better i have tested...
100 seems a lot to much i can have 4.9ms without pro audio card but even 4.9 is a little too much for me :/
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

If 4.9 mSec seems too much, then your measurement is probably missing something. Most people cannot sense latency much below 20 mSec. However, that is 20 mSec. from when you press a key to when you hear the sound and it is easy to miss parts of that total latency amount with the typical ways of getting a latency measurement.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

yep u right Jim i was aware about latency under 50 ms not perceptible but i use mme audio (win7) and it's wrote 4.9ms with asio4 all for the same sound (without glitch due to the buffer) it's wrote 11.9.
i clearly see the difference with asio and mme so when i use sounds from pc(mme) together with my synth sound we can hear a little delay (my mother was thinking i have set a clavecin sound du to the effect produced ).
So i don't know if the mesurement is correct but it's wrote 4.9 and it's playable but not so much as my synth sound.
Asio with 11.9 is really not good for me.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

I believe what ASIO4ALL reports is the delay from the time it receives the digital audio data until the data is transferred to the hardware driver. That can be a significant factor in latency and ASIO4ALL can be a significant improvement. The latency that remains is probably from the MIDI synthesis software which has a lot to do between the time it receives the MIDI data from Synthesia and the time it delivers digital audio data to ASIO4ALL. The time needed for MIDI synthesis is a difficult one to reduce but there are MIDI software synthesizers that are better in this regard than others. Personally, I send Synthesia's MIDI Out to my keyboard and let it do the synthesis in hardware which is hard to beat for speed or sound.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/