Possible Theme Music Contest

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

So, I'm thinking about running another contest to come up with a short (3-10 second), original music theme that plays when the game starts.

This isn't quite the same as a name contest where people can (and did) quickly jot down 20+ names and click "Send". The submissions would be fewer and farther between (plus, I wouldn't have the publicity the last contest had). With fewer submissions, the chance of someone submitting something really great (still can't thank Daniel enough for the name "Synthesia") is lower.

I also haven't worked out what the winner would get. (Probably their theme in the game. :D )

What do you guys think? Would any of you be interested? Do you know anyone that would be? (You know, interested in writing music and giving it away to a stranger so he can use it for his own (dark) purposes...)
Peej

Post by Peej »

Personally I'm waiting for the 88-key touch-sensitive MIDI keyboard prized contest. :lol:

How long do you plan to run this for? :geek:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Ha! I would if I could. I bet a Triton or a Motif would get quite a few more people entering the contest than the "thank you" I've already got lined up. ;)

As for contest length, I hadn't thought about it yet. I'm just looking to see if there is general interest right now. Again, the submissions would trickle in slower for this type of thing and I didn't specifically agree to a time-frame like last time. I would expect no less than 3 months. (Any more than 6 though, and it starts to feel too long.)

I would also encourage themes that weren't restricted to piano. (I think one of the unsung strengths of the game is to have a bunch of music going on in the background while you play a specific part -- piano-only or not.)

And I'd probably accept either live recordings or MIDI (that I would turn into a recording). I can't guarantee a good MIDI output device has been selected right when the title screen comes up. So, to be sure everyone hears it, I'd play it like a sound effect. Also, the fidelity would almost certainly be higher as a recording. It doesn't take great equipment to outperform the built-in Windows MIDI synth.
Aken

Post by Aken »

Hi !
Is it this kind of intro you need ?

An intro I made :
http://a.papavassiliou.free.fr/intro_synthesia.mp3
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hi Aken,

That's actually pretty nice. However (and I feel bad because I should have mentioned this sooner :( ), I've already made other arrangements for a short intro theme music clip, and I won't be running a theme music contest.

I apologize.

Nicholas
Aken

Post by Aken »

Ok, it doesnt matter ;)
nnxion
Synthesia Donor

Post by nnxion »

Hi Aken, that's pretty good. You don't happen to have a piano version of that now would you?
Aken

Post by Aken »

Here is the midi 0 file (1 track - piano) :
http://a.papavassiliou.free.fr/synthesia/midi0.mid

And the midi 1 file ( 4 tracks - midi instruments) slitghly quantized :
http://a.papavassiliou.free.fr/synthesia/midi1.mid

In both versions I removed the the "little bells" (sorry I don't know the name in English xD)