Metadata crashes in Mac 10.10

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
trevordavies

Post by trevordavies »

I have managed to do some basic operations in metadataeditor but its quite unstable and crashes when I try to create groups/folders.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, I wonder if a better way of running the metadata editor on Mac might not be using the Windows executable using something like WineBottler. Let me give that a shot to see if there isn't a better answer. Mono's "Windows Forms" support is pretty bad, which is where I suspect the crashes are coming from.

EDIT: I tried it and it produced a 300 MB file. (That seems a little excessive.) And I'm not sure the Windows+Wine version runs much better on a Mac than the plain Mono version.
YAPMusicTherapy

Post by YAPMusicTherapy »

I've been looking for a solution to this too. I can't even get it to open. I've installed Mono, but when I try to launch the editor, the icon pops up and then closes immediately. Any suggestions?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yeah, sorry for the trouble with this. It feels like WinForms support in Mono is on the decline. I'll try to come up with a new solution that works just as well on both systems. I know of four or five alternatives off the top of my head, but each one would require a bit of a time investment to switch things over. So it's a matter of deciding which new basket to put all our eggs in.
trevordavies

Post by trevordavies »

Metadata is now more stable on Mac Yosemite, but you still have type entries slowly. Otherwise it works well. I am now using a PC as well but I can't find the download for Metadata!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

trevordavies wrote:... but I can't find the download for Metadata!
Do you mean the link at the bottom of this list?
tescot

Post by tescot »

Using Mac 10.11.3 (Yosemite) and the MetaDataEditor crashes before it opens.
I would love to use the program as have hundreds of midi files, some synthesia-ready and others needing various amounts of editing beforehand, it would a highly useful tool.
Any idea on your timeframe for getting it running for those on the Mac side?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Now that Xamarin just went free, we've got a much(!) better supported platform than WinForms via Mono on the Mac. It'll take a bit of UI rework, but the core of the metadata editor will get to stay the same. I don't have a time estimate, but the good news is that there is now a clear path to getting this fixed.
trevordavies

Post by trevordavies »

I've recently inherited a PC and switched to using MDE via Dropbox. This works well but you need to set up fingering, track settings on the PC as well - which is logical as Synthesia on the PC is reading the files afresh I suppose.
trevordavies

Post by trevordavies »

MetaData Editor does not open in El Capitan, so I tried 10.6.8 and it doesn't open in that either.
Trevor