Solfege Issue

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
madisonjonas

Post by madisonjonas »

Hello,

I imported a midi file that I had created using Presonus Notion. It's in the key of Eb Major. However when I import the file to Synthesia, it shows it to be in C Major. I am trying to use Eb Major to get Synthesia's Solfege feature to work properly. But it won't if it keeps thinking it's in the key of C Major. Does anyone know how to change the key inside Synthesia? It's reading Do as So. Help?
Spoiler:
2015-09-13_19-38-13.png
2015-09-13_19-38-13.png (385.17 KiB) Viewed 6555 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, if you could send the MIDI file to support@synthesiagame.com, I'll take a look to see how Notion is encoding the key signature information. Synthesia usually picks this up automatically, but it looks like the key is being detected as C Major.
madisonjonas

Post by madisonjonas »

I have email the files as requested. Thank you.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks for sending that along (so fast, too)!

Looking inside the MIDI file, there is very little information besides the notes. This is an exhaustive listing:

Track 0
  • Sequence Name: MIDI out
  • Tempo: 60 bpm
Track 1
  • Track name: VOICE
  • Instrument name: VOICE
  • Change channel 1's instrument to: Violin
  • ... followed by 292 "Note" messages on channel 1.
My guess is that Presonus hasn't spent much effort on Notion's MIDI export capabilities. They clearly have that extra information available to them but aren't saving it out to the MIDI file.

If Notion has a different export format available (say, MusicXML?) you may be able to add an intermediate step like loading it into MuseScore and exporting it as MIDI from there instead. MuseScore's MIDI exporter keeps the key signature information intact.

(If Notion supports MusicXML, the good news is that we're adding MusicXML support to Synthesia in version 11.)
trevordavies

Post by trevordavies »

Thanks for the tip re musescore. I had a midi file generated by Logic for which the key sig did not show in Synthesia. I opened the midi file in musescore (which did pick up the correct KS - so the info must be in there somewhere) and re-exported as a midi file. Synthesia now shows the KS as one sharp ( G major). However it's in Em (modal) so I guess it's expecting a bit much for Synthesia to sort that out! I'm going to insert some D sharps and see if that makes a difference.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

trevordavies wrote:... as one sharp ( G major). However it's in Em (modal)...
Yeah, there is a flag on MIDI key signature messages (in addition to the sharp/flat count) to indicate Major vs. minor. I wonder if MuseScore isn't setting it correctly.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Just off the top of my head, I think MuseScore sets key signatures by the number of sharps or flats. I don't recall any place to indicate major or minor. But I'm no MuseScore expert.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/