memorising visuals question

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
legendaryloulou

Post by legendaryloulou »

Hi guys I was wondering, is it possible to get 'that' good at Synthesia that someone can throw you a random midi file and you can play it off the bat just by remembering the key to screen technique?

I figured it would be like learning to touch type without looking at the keyboard (which I can do)

Thanks in advance for your replies
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Yes it's possible if the sheet is not too complicated and based on the level of the musician.
Per eg it's easy to play mary have a little lamb for many one; the same is for complicated pieces of musique but the musician 'll need more sight reading skills...
monkel

Post by monkel »

Synthesia is after all just another form of notation, so why not? If you then combine it witha keyboard with lighted keys anyone can give it a go.
stephenhazel

Post by stephenhazel »

> a random midi file and you can play it off the bat

absolutely not.

jumps and fingering and tricky rhythms ALWAYS have to be nailed down, practiced, and built into muscle memory before you'll be able to play the more difficult songs fluently.

you may get to a level where you can play way more songs pretttty fluently the first time through. but that'll take you quite a few hours (years) of practice.

and once you've practiced that long, you'll probably be annoyed with scrolling notes - they kill your eyes and don't let you read far enough ahead - especially rhythms.

Your goal should be to make the song sound great. Regardless of the number of hours you spend on it. Because for most songs, for many many years, it'll take a long time to get em down and sounding as great as possible. Learn to enjoy taking a song apart and putting it back together just so. Once you enjoy piano practice, you'll do it more. And that'll make it more ingrained in you. And that'll make you sound better. Time be damned.