Pedal input on/off

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
aheider

Post by aheider »

I would like to use my keyboard's (yamaha p-105) sustain pedal for one particular song. Currently I have to go into settings>music devices>music output>digital piano. I then turn off background instruments for my keyboard. This allows me to use my pedal. The problem is when I want to practice just LH or RH I can only hear what I am playing. I would like to hear both hands when I am practicing HS but also be able to use my pedal. Is there an easy way of achieving this?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'm not sure I understand.

Why do you have to turn off the background instruments setting for your keyboard? Does your pedal not respond unless that setting is disabled? That would definitely be a bug.
aheider

Post by aheider »

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.
Nicholas wrote:Does your pedal not respond unless that setting is disabled? That would definitely be a bug.
That is correct. In the settings menu, I have to turn off background instruments for my keyboard in order to use my sustain. Without disabling this setting, I hear the notes that I play as if the sustain pedal was pressed.

I did a little more investigating. I went to the score from which I generated the midi file and noticed that the score had pedal markings at the same notes I was hearing the sustain. So I deleted those pedal markings in the score, saved this new score as a midi file and opened it in Synthesia. This time (leaving the settings as default) it worked. I could hear myself using the sustain pedal. Further, I noticed that this is also the case for dynamic markings (mainly anything softer than piano or louder than forte). So I don't think this is a bug as much as a feature request. If there was an easier way to disable the pedal markings and dynamics that would be great. Otherwise I am just practicing pressing keys and not really playing music. If any of this is still unclear I can try to upload some sound bites, videos, screenshots, etc.

Thanks for the help! This forum is a great resource!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks for the clarification and the follow-up investigation. Everything is much clearer now!

I agree with your findings: it sounds like the song just had the pedal held down the entire time (or nearly) which took away any opportunity that you might use it.

If you're using the PC, Mac, or Android version of Synthesia, you should be able to try the current Synthesia 11 development preview. In that version, you can go to Settings -> Advanced -> Pedal Messages -> Filtered-out. That technically turns off both background and user-played pedal messages, but as long as your output is going back out to your keyboard, it may help. (I wonder if a better answer might be to have that setting only affect pedal messages stored inside the songs themselves and always allow a user's own pedal messages.)

Let me know if that helps the situation while using the original, unmodified MIDI song.

Regarding note velocities, try this: Settings -> Gameplay -> Note Loudness -> Match Your Input. That should take care of that problem, too.