Complete Newbie

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
adammonty

Post by adammonty »

Hi all,

I was just after a bit of feedback as to whether Synthesia would be right for me
I have absolutely no musical training and no experience on the piano.

I am however interested after looking into Synthesia into purchasing a Yamaha EZ-220 and delving into it

I know this sounds stupid but I really enjoy and am quite good at guitair hero and other similar mobile "tap tap" games

I am completey aware that learning to play with Synthesia especially along with having no prior music theory knowledge is not recommended by most people but I really just want to be able to (after putting in the relevant hours practice) recite certain (simple) songs eventually without the aid of Synthesia.

Like I said, I am aware that learning this way is not the most effeciant and will not allow me to recite sheet music etc.
Essentially my question is;

Is it realistic to aim to be able to recite simple songs after practicing enough on Synthesia without the aid of the software? I think I'd pick up certain pieces quite quick whilst having the visual aids but im wondering what people have experienced then trying to recite pieces without the aid of the software, is it purely just repetition and memory based? is it worth putting the hours in?

Thanks
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Whether or not what you propose would be worth it, all depends on what you are hoping for. Can you learn to play simple, or even not so simple, songs on a piano without being instructed as to good keyboard technique or an understanding of what you are playing? Yes.

Will it sound like the playing of someone with good keyboard technique and an understanding of what they are playing? No. The degree of difference depends on you. I have heard some people get surprisingly close.

The biggest downside of what you are proposing is that you are more likely to give up if you don't have a sound foundation on which to build. But there are many excellent piano players who are self taught. So it can be done. Either way, it is a lot of work, but maybe less with the help of a good teacher.

I would suggest looking for a used keyboard. There are a lot of them gathering dust in the closets of people who thought learning keyboard would be easier.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/