How to configure VST piano and Soundfont working together?

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
eFse7en

Post by eFse7en »

Hi,

I would like to have "Acoustic Grand Piano" to be played by VST plugin and everything else by a Soundfont. Is there anyway to to configure that?
At the moment I have 2 outputs:
1. LoopBe1->Ableton->VST piano
2. VirtualMidiSynth->Soundfont
With "My notes" and "Background Instruments" being played on 1st,
and "Percussion", "Metronome" on 2nd.
Advantage of that solution is that I can use good VST piano and still hear metronome (and in some midis also percussion) from Soundfont.
Drawback is that all non-percussive sounds(including organs, guitars, basses, strings, etc.) are being played with VST piano instead.

Please help.
eFse7en

Post by eFse7en »

Is there at least any other way with the help of some tools to have Synthesia playing VST piano sounds and other instruments at the same time?
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Hi,

You just need to choose only the piano channel on Ableton.
And mute the piano channel for the soundfont if you don't want hear 2 piano at the same time)

But for to mute the soundfont you'll need a vst soundfont player in Ableton.

So you 'll use only ableton not the "virtual midi synth".
eFse7en

Post by eFse7en »

As a channel you mean randomly assigned channel number for every track by Synthesia? Or is is possible to configure it by midi bank/instrument?
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Well usually a good midi file have piano on channel 1 bass on 2 etc...

But many midi file use others channels so you need for each midi file to check if the correct channel and the correct patch is used.

Synthesia don't assign any channel he just read the midi file if the composer have set piano to channel 3 well Synthesia play it on channel 3.

So you can edit all you're midi file to have the same configuration or you can set the correct channel just when you play it (the more safe way)

But you know you can create a project on ableton for each song so you just need to do it one time ;)

Good luck!
eFse7en

Post by eFse7en »

Seems to be a manual heavy solution - configuring all the instruments for every new midi once and switching between configurations every time while playing it.
Also I don't understand why Ableton cannot use the information of the instrument being played, while VirtualMidiSynth can.

Anyway do you know any free tool to combine VSTi and Soundfont to act as a MIDI synth?
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Hum it's really not so heavy.

But i reread your 1rst post.
You want only what you play (the piano tracks) play by a vsti piano and all others instruments need to be played by soundfont.

So you just need to assigne the correct channel for the piano and let others instruments be played by Virtualsynth.

So the mistake is that you need to set one chanel for the vsti.

I think the track where the vsti is on ableton is receiving all the channel.

I have maid a screenshot ;)
Just replace "gestionaire iac" by "loopbe" it's because i am on mac...

And look at the channel 1 i use and only this one. Also you 'll need to mute the channel one on virtual midi synth but i don't remember if it's possible.(if it's not just use a sounfdont player on ableton like the free sfz per eg.)
Attachments
screenshot_51.jpg
screenshot_51.jpg (25.81 KiB) Viewed 13212 times
alsisT

Post by alsisT »

Hi guys !!! here from domican republic. I just want to know why my synthesia 10.2 does not show VirtualMIDISynth as an imput... I really want to know how to convert my soundfonts great when the keys are played.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Do you mean Synthesia 10.4? There is a workaround in this topic. That should get it to show up in the list.