Digital Piano YDP 101

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
barneyrme1

Post by barneyrme1 »

Hi there,

I have been playing synthesia for years on my yamaha ez-200. no problems. I now have a Yamaha YDP 101 digital piano and its driving me crazy.

I use the emu 1x1 midi interface but there seems to be some lag with the sound and when i press the keys on the piano. i have virtual midi synth and soundfonts. I use the X midi output on my ez 200. But cant do it on my digital piano.

can u help its driving me crazy.

thanx

just want it to sound the same if possible
eFse7en

Post by eFse7en »

If you are using Coolsoft VirtualMidiSynth, remember to set Additional buffer to something low, for example 15-20ms (if you lower this value and don't hear any artifacts with higher cpu load you're fine).
If it's not the VirtualMidiSynth, check setup for every module between input and ouput if the lag can be lowered.
If you want to exclude the possibility if the input or Synthesia would be causing the lag, you can check it visually on the Free play.
Also please share exactly how do you measure lag and which modules between input and output did you exclude already.
barneyrme1

Post by barneyrme1 »

Thanx for your reply. I havent really had a go at the settings because i dont really understand all that. Any help wud be great . Also just want to know why the output on the xmidi tab doesnt work with the digital piano but works perfect with the ez 200.
eFse7en

Post by eFse7en »

If you are using Coolsoft VirtualMidiSynth, try to lower the additional buffer first:
1. Open Synthesia (to make sure VirtualMidiSynth loads)
2. Open settings for VirtualMidiSynth from the systray (right click on the icon)->Configuration
3. Activate "Options" (3rd) tab
4. Change value for the "Additional buffer..." from 250 to 17.
17 is good if you are having constant 60fps (1000ms/60 ~= 17ms)

Check if that works. If you are using any other Midi synth, check if it can be configured similarily or try to replace it with Coolsoft VirtualMidiSynth.

If above still doesn't help, check visually on the free play do you "see" the lag by having notes to appear later than expected.
If yes - then lag must be somewhere in the input device/drivers/connectors.
If no - lag must be somewhere in the output. Confirm in the settings that you are not using default Microsoft synth.