Using Synthesia for guitar practice; single clef mode?

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
XZF

Post by XZF »

Hi,
I would like to use Synthesia with MIDI guitar; the input actually works well for many simpler things. But the grand staff notation is really not well suited to guitar use, where it is traditional to just use the treble clef with ledger lines as needed.

Is there an option perhaps to switch to single-clef mode? Or would this be a new feature?

(I am not really suggesting to go full guitar mode, displaying the fretboard and not the piano keys; that would be a rather major step :) Actually seeing the piano keys is helpful regardless of the instrument)
Thanks.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This would be a new feature... but the good news is that it's a feature that is being worked on right now! :D

The Synthesia 11 release is going to be adding support for MusicXML files (in addition to MIDI files). That format gives explicit control over the placement of notes on staffs. So, if you arrange something in an editor with one staff and lots of ledger lines, that's exactly how it'll show up in Synthesia.
XZF

Post by XZF »

OK, very cool. I imagine someone has / will write a utility to force any MIDI file ("single-handed" play, presumably) into a single-clef XML representation (and to transpose by an octave once we're at it), and then that XML can be fed to Synthesia for use with a guitar etc.
Of course being able to directly force single clef in the main app would be more user-friendly, but this is probably a somewhat exotic need, unless lots of Rocksmith players start using their cable to play Synthesia :)
Thanks!
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

I have used Synthésia too for guitar practicing ^^ but i just use the falling note for this so no feedback by Synthésia :)

I use it too for some drumming with an Akai MPC :)