What Tablets work with synthesia midi

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
eliswan

Post by eliswan »

I really want to buy a reasonably priced android tablet 10 inches to use with synthesia. I have a midi to usb from my keyboard and wanted to which tablets I can buy a usb adaptor for and use with synthesia and my keyboard.
Can any tablet be used this way with the right adaptors? I don't want to waste money buying a tablet to find its not compatible with this plan. Is there an easy way to tell if they hold this function?

Thanks in advance!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The more recent version of Android it uses, the more likely things are to work. If you can find something running at least Android 6.0 (and preferably 7.0 or 8.0), you can be reasonably sure it will work with adapters and whatnot.

If you really wanted to be sure, you could try and find "OTG" or "On-the-go" listed somewhere in the specs. Having "USB OTG" support is what is required to connect external devices to a tablet. I want to say something like 90% of tablets made today include it, but we still hear from a user here-and-there with a tablet that doesn't.
trevordavies

Post by trevordavies »

Hi. I have just bought a 10" Time2 tablet which seems to be well made and runs Synthesia nicely. As with most cheap 10" tablets, it's in wide screen format so doesn't compare with the 10" iPad or the like.
Most Android devices seem to have a very awkward route when it comes to adding songs, but if you have an external sd card you'll find it eventually. On the Time 2 it comes under mnt whatever that means. Select Device>internal storage, then you will see the header read Device>mnt>internal_sd. Tap mnt and then choose external_sd from the list.
To run Synthesia on the excellent Kindle follow the steps on this site
https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to ... re-tablet/
trevordavies

Post by trevordavies »

Just a couple of other things. I couldn't get either a Mac or PC to 'see' the Time2 and after trying various ways of linking to my source files, I gave up and loaded the sd card externally via a USB adapter.
However Android File Transfer for Mac does work with the Kindle.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

trevordavies wrote:I couldn't get either a Mac or PC to 'see' the Time2...
This might be one of those Android things that is totally counter-intuitive until you've seen it before. After you connect your device to a computer, if you swipe down from the home screen, you can usually choose which mode you want the connection to use. (Well, either there or in the Settings app.) Usually the default is just to connect for "charging" which doesn't expose the device's files to the computer. The "MTP" or "PTP" choices will usually do what you're looking for.

Here is an article that talks about the various modes in a lot more detail.