Changing synthesia screen orientation

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Km112791

Post by Km112791 »

Hello, I'm an elementary school band teacher and I'm interested in using Synthesia with my students. What I would like to do is slide the piano visual all the way down so it is hidden and then orient the screen so that the "tiles" are moving from left to right. Is this something that is possible? If so, would it then be possible to orient the note labels so that they wouldn't be on their side? Thanks for the help!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

First, hiding the keyboard is fairly easy: just pause the song, and then drag the little blue block that pops out at the right-hand side down until the keyboard is completely off the screen.

Otherwise, out of curiosity, why did you want the note blocks to travel side-to-side? To more closely approximate sheet music's reading direction? There is a little bit of trouble: if you rotate the screen clockwise (so the notes travel to the left), the pitches will be upside down! The highest pitch notes are at the bottom. So that might be a little tricky.
Km112791

Post by Km112791 »

Hi Nicholas, thanks for the quick response! Yes I was thinking the side to side would make it easier for someone like a trumpet player, or sax player to read the notes...but you're right about the pitches being backwards, I didn't think of that. I'm assuming there would be no way to fix that problem correct? I could see this being a HUGE resource for kids starting out on band instruments and would love to use it if possible. Any help troubleshooting is appreciated!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Km112791 wrote:I'm assuming there would be no way to fix that problem correct?
Not easily, unfortunately.

I do know that Piano Wizard keeps their keyboard at the top of the screen specifically to solve this problem. (Their software transforms from a piano-roll view similar to Synthesia's all the way to a sideways, scrolling sheet music view in four distinct steps. They even hold a patent on that "four step" method.)

Otherwise, for non-piano instruments, I've heard good things about SmartMusic.
Km112791

Post by Km112791 »

Okay, thanks Nicholas. My main goal was to create my own videos using the "blocks moving from side-to side" software, and it doesn't seem like Piano Wizard has that freedom of use like Synthesia does. Do you foresee Synthesia ever having that side to side ability? Smart Music I use as well and has been great.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Being able to turn the falling notes sideways (and correct the upside-down pitch problem) isn't something that we have planned on any of our short or long-term road maps, so I'm afraid I can't promise anything in the foreseeable future. Sorry!