MIDI Song Sources

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Mrnimco

Post by Mrnimco »

Really like abstracte's list! Looking for a while for classical rock midi's! Thank you!

I have a question though, I found a very nice website with tons of piano midi's -->> http://www.OnlinePianist.com,

does anyone know how do I download the midi form there??? Any help would be great.... Cheers!
JoshuaYoshua

Post by JoshuaYoshua »

The following website contains piano sheet music created by Rachel Bell (the website author), each with a MIDI file so they should be great for Synthesia. Otherwise you might like to know that it's all pretty much videogame music.

Nicholas, these might be a good way to see how well the algorithms for generating the sheet music work!

Anyhow the website is http://www.herbalcell.com/free-sheet-music, enjoy.
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Stuff & experiments for Synthesia: Gramp v0.2SkinboxFireSynthVideoWebradio
Mathgeek1996

Post by Mathgeek1996 »

Ok this is all great, but how do I get the Midi files ONTO my synthesia? it doesn't seem to be sensing them when I go to "add" songs.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The songs themselves don't show up in the "Add..." screen. You're looking to add the folder that contains your songs, so that in the future Synthesia will be able to scan and detect them automatically. So you add a folder and Synthesia scans it each time it starts up.

It should say something about the number of songs in the particular folder though. Written in yellow. Is that happening? Double-check that your files have a MID, MIDI, or KAR extension.
PopSynth

Post by PopSynth »

I've installed the demo and it looks great. I would love to learn some tunes like early Depeche Mode, New Life or Just Cant Get Enough, or maybe Gary Numan, Visage, OMD, Human League, that kind of stuff. I'm not a fan of searching websites that might be riddled with malware etc and downloading stuff. Looking for good sources for 80s synth pop midi files suitable for Synthesia, I don't mind paying a small amount for the download.

Can anyone help?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Finding a source of licensed, high-quality music from a non-shady website is a challenge I personally haven't found a great solution for yet. It's so prevalent I'm considering trying to tackle the problem myself with some type of song store on the Synthesia website. Still, that doesn't help you today. Sorry I don't have any other advice. Anyone else have an answer?
PopSynth

Post by PopSynth »

Nicholas wrote:Finding a source of licensed, high-quality music from a non-shady website is a challenge I personally haven't found a great solution for yet. It's so prevalent I'm considering trying to tackle the problem myself with some type of song store on the Synthesia website. Still, that doesn't help you today. Sorry I don't have any other advice. Anyone else have an answer?
I got some DM files so thats enough to get me started, thanks. I bought Speak & Spell when it came out on cassette tape, later on vinyl, then on CD, and recently on the Remastered edition so I don't think I'm ripping them off too badly :P

Synthesia has a superb UI by the way!!
Neoseo

Post by Neoseo »

Nicholas wrote:Finding a source of licensed, high-quality music from a non-shady website is a challenge I personally haven't found a great solution for yet. It's so prevalent I'm considering trying to tackle the problem myself with some type of song store on the Synthesia website. Still, that doesn't help you today. Sorry I don't have any other advice. Anyone else have an answer?
Hi,

If I got time, I intend to create a friendly-user website that gathers recent and great quality midi files, easy to access and select. But it will depend on my free time.
But, let's be clear, it would be just a solution to gather midi files that you could eventually (but with difficulty) find on the internet. I don't have any solution to create the midi files myself. (Unless someone explains me how to do that automatically with a software :P ...)

Anyway, I will come back later with more info.
lordhowl

Post by lordhowl »

midishrine isn't bad lol.
.................................. WOLFKEYS
........................................................"I love it when you call me big poppa"- Bigge Smalls
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

scottboy wrote:This is extraordinarily frustrating.

I just want to use the game. I want to play "A thousand years" by Christina Perri, but I cannot find the midi anywhere. Honestly, any midi for any song would work. Just something, please. All I can find is stupid ringtones and advertisements for other crap.

Where is the midi!?!?!?!?! Why is this so difficult?
Please consider the consequences. If you download the MIDI, you'd be stealing because it is a MIDI of a copyrighted song, that's a fact. Linking or uploading copyright-infringing material could get you in trouble so we aren't allowed to help you with that. See this and this for more info.
If it is difficult to find the MIDI, why not... convert the audio to MIDI or just make it yourself?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

aria1121 wrote:If you download the MIDI, you'd be stealing because it is a MIDI of a copyrighted song...
I can imagine that would probably be even more frustrating to hear, given his current desperation.

This probably isn't much consolation today but I can report that some wheels are in motion here at Synthesia LLC headquarters. :lol: This is a common enough cry for help and it hasn't fallen on deaf ears. It's still going to be a while yet, but I think I've got a solution. (I haven't been studying music licensing for the last eight months just because it's an interesting topic, if that's any hint.)
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

It is disappointing to hear you can't be helped but let me refer to a certain point of a certain site:
Help your community learn from the question. When you field a good question, ask yourself “How would the relevant documentation or FAQ have to change so that nobody has to answer this again?” Then send a patch to the document maintainer. If you did research to answer the question, demonstrate your skills rather than writing as though you pulled the answer out of your butt. Answering one good question is like feeding a hungry person one meal, but teaching them research skills by example is showing them how to grow food for a lifetime.
Well I think people should be aware of "If I'd want to post a request, is it necessary? Hasn't it been answered before or could I've come out myself? Why isn't this there, if it could have been and do I think this is that, which is bugging only me?" If so, feel free to post but if the question is too small or just lolz iv no idea wat imma doin think if people are willing to respond, or how. People may take the effort to search up information on behaviour instead of giving the actual answer, which could be very small or damn lengthy. This is from the first external link down there in my signature. Credits go to them.
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

That's reassuring to hear, Nicholas, seriously. Distributors of popular piano software are in a good position to get better deals than individual music enthusiasts.

I heard someone point out (or read it, don't remember) that the copyright holders have various ways to cash in on their works. We've been buying CDs, before that vinyls and cassette tapes, been paying monthly fees to radio and TV stations (which themselves pay the artists or their representatives for each time their works are played or shown.) Everytime we buy recordable CDs, DVDs, BluRay discs, USB sticks, SD cards, portable hard drives and probably more kinds of storage mediums, we pay a tax to the government, which gives it to the artists associations (at least there's such a tax in my country) even if we never put a single byte of illegally downloaded media on those storage mediums. This is the wonderful new law enforcement policy, to inflict punishment for a crime, before it's committed.

So it's not like the artists or the copyright holders haven't got anything paid for their works.
leroi

Post by leroi »

Hello, I would ask if someone knows, what is the name of the song playing in the introductional synthesia video on synthesiagame.com (it is a nice song).
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

It's called "Dreamy Piano", from The Music Bakery. Unfortunately I don't have a MIDI version of the song. It is nice though. I wonder if I could contact them and see about licensing it for use in Synthesia as a MIDI.
leroi

Post by leroi »

Thank you, I would like to learn it.
dannac

Post by dannac »

Programs below will read PDF files and save or export as midi that could be played in Synthesia.
Of the two I prefer PhotoScore.

http://www.neuratron.com/photoscore.htm

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/pdftomusic.htm

You could also try a free notation program like Music Score and input the notes yourself then export or save as midi file.

http://musescore.org/
beatlefan416

Post by beatlefan416 »

a good source for finding MIDIs is http://midi.homemusician.net/ it has most MIDIs
marksmithnottingham

Post by marksmithnottingham »

Hi do you know about
http://www.kuhmann.com/Yamaha.htm
Huge no of very good Piano piece public domain midi's.
Many already split into l and r hands