Problem with Synthesia 10.5 and Avira Premium (just info)

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
PowerFritz

Post by PowerFritz »

Hi, all,

just to let you know.. I downloaded V11.5 today, thank you - great stuff :-).

But during installation Avira virus scanner came up saying some generic malware would be inside and moved file Synthesia.exe to quarantine. After checking with virustotal.com I tried to restore original file, but seconds later it was recognized as malware again. Tried to manually copy exe file to program dir, but always rejected. I excluded program path from virus scanner, disabled real time virus check, disabled everything, rebooted, but no success.. blocked, rejected, access rights required. I spent hours with it and finally did the right thing.. removed that premium virus stuff from my system and got another one. Now everything works fine again :-).

Hours later I got some information from virus lab that file was clean, of course.

So.. if you should run into the same trouble, you know what will work.

Kind regards,

PowerFritz
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The last few times we've pushed an update, there has been a false positive from one of the AV companies out there. It usually clears up a couple days later. (Although, in this case, Avira was also showing it clean at Virus Total, which is a little strange. You'd think that it would either show infected in both places or not at all. Oh well.)

I agree with your course of action though. :lol: The simple combination of Windows Defender, keeping up with Windows Update, and avoiding the shadier corners of the Internet is the 99% solution.