Kiosk Mode for Windows & True Full Screen Mode

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Danny N

Post by Danny N » 05-11-20 11:16 pm

Hi! I've used Synthesia for a few years now and I love it, great teaching tool for my children too!

I have wanted to make a more automated and easy way for my young children to be able to play Synthesia and practice piano without having to trouble an adult to log them in and potentially have to check up on them because they've accidentally clicked something else on the taskbar.

I've thought of two ideas that I think would be extremely helpful for people.

First, the easy one. Rather than just being able to maximize the window it would be great if Synthesia had a true full screen mode. This way the only way to accidentally bring something else up would be an accidental "alt-tab" or "alt-esc" keystroke which would be very unlikely. If this was implemented it would make the program a much more professional feeling program too.

Second, the hard one (I think). Windows has a "Kiosk Mode" that can be set up. In my case I use an old laptop that is specifically dedicated to Synthesia, I'm sure others out there are in a similar boat. It can be more cumbersome for my children to be able to turn on the computer, sign in, and open Synthesia without having some sort of issue along the way. If Synthesia were to be added to the Microsoft Store then you would be able to place the computer into this Kiosk mode with Synthesia running and as soon as you boot up the computer the program would automatically boot too. At this point you also would not be able to do anything else besides Synthesia without the proper password.

So I'm not sure how much trouble it might be but it would be great if you considered placing Synthesia on the Microsoft Windows Store!!

Thank you so much for having a channel for feature requests.

Danny

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 05-12-20 3:10 am

Danny N wrote:
05-11-20 11:16 pm
... it would be great if Synthesia had a true full screen mode.
Press "Alt-Enter" while the app is running.
Danny N wrote:
05-11-20 11:16 pm
It can be more cumbersome for my children to be able to turn on the computer, sign in, and open Synthesia without having some sort of issue along the way.
I don't expect Synthesia to be added to the Microsoft Store anytime soon, but you could get halfway there just by adding a shortcut to Synthesia to your Start Menu --> Startup folder. Or adding it to the HKLM Run (or HKCU Run) registry keys.

At least then you get an automatic run when the laptop is booted. The exit button would still take you back out to Windows, but it's a start.