Detect if there are really dieses notes

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Mte90

Post by Mte90 »

As you can see in this screen with this midi file are marked as diesis some notes but there aren't any.
So maybe it is possible to autofix this sheet inside synthesia?
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 4041 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I tried an auto-translator for "dieses" and came up with "sharp". Do you mean that the song's key signature has two sharps in it despite there not being any sharped notes in the song? This is something out of Synthesia's hands to fix automatically as the music theory involved in determining the "correct" key for a song is well outside the scope of the app.

If you don't want the key signature to appear that way, the workaround is to use a music editing app (MusInk, MuseScore, Finale Notepad, Sekaiju, Aria Maestosa, etc.) to adjust the key signature stored in the MIDI file.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Nicholas, I think the interpretation you came up with is correct for this topic. For those who want a more thorough explanation in English, I found this explanation of diesis in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesis

Judging from the cadence resolving to D, I think the key signature of D major is correct. The piece just seems to use C natural and F natural everywhere, requiring accidental naturals, except for the final C sharp lead to the final D. I didn't do a thorough analysis of the piece but I suspect this may be something using modes, which is something MIDI does not have the capability to deal with. This is probably the kind of music that is just a bit perplexing in terms of how it should be notated and what Synthesia is doing is just the best that can be done with the MIDI file as it stands.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Mte90

Post by Mte90 »

Nicholas wrote: 09-02-20 10:49 pm I tried an auto-translator for "dieses" and came up with "sharp". Do you mean that the song's key signature has two sharps in it despite there not being any sharped notes in the song? This is something out of Synthesia's hands to fix automatically as the music theory involved in determining the "correct" key for a song is well outside the scope of the app.

If you don't want the key signature to appear that way, the workaround is to use a music editing app (MusInk, MuseScore, Finale Notepad, Sekaiju, Aria Maestosa, etc.) to adjust the key signature stored in the MIDI file.
Do you mean that I can remove the fact that on top of the sheet there is written what notes are diesis? Right now after writing this I have difficulties to remember what notes I have to do as diesis as example. Instead I will prefer to see the symbol right near the note like happens usually.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

If you used a MIDI editor to change the song's key signature to C Major, then every sharp or flat accidental would appear next to each note.
Mte90

Post by Mte90 »

Thanks for the hint I will check how to do that :-D
Mte90

Post by Mte90 »

I can confirm changing to C Major for all the tracks fixed it.
Smiley

Post by Smiley »

Mte90 wrote: 09-01-20 10:16 am As you can see in this screen with this midi file are marked as diesis some notes but there aren't any.
Looking at your image I recognise Pachelbel’s Canon in D and all the Fs and Cs should be sharp. By changing the key signature to C and keeping the notes at the original pitches you have effectively changed the Major key (which is in effect the Ionian mode) to the Dorian mode.