1. Female user profile. 2. Memo/note field for individual songs?

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
MadDuck

Post by MadDuck »

Hi Nicholas, I hope you & your family are doing well.
I know that you've got a never-ending list of things to do, so forgive me for piling on with more. That said, the first one should be "No Sweat"(TM).
I'm not sure how hard or important the second one is to implement, but I think it would be nice to have.

#1. My daughter asked me why there wasn't an option to select a girl user. I considered sitting her down and giving her a 10 minute lecture on "The Patriarchy"(also TM), but instead told her I'd check with the developer.

For request #2. I know one answer would be to have a physical notebook, or notepad open in another window, but it would be greatly convenient to have a small editable field next to the star rating/difficulty scale in the song selection page, so that if I've got a few similar midis, (or ones that I need to fix) like "Chopin_Op.9_No.2", "Nocturne_Opus9.2" & "Op.9_2_Easy" I could add a quick note like:
"Currently practing", "Practice up to 40% speed", "Loop bars 52-60", "add LH finger notation",
"Online course xxxxxxx", or even the ISBN or book name. (I know those last ones should be sorted by folders, but if I've forgotten, (or want to compare) which versions of Tiptina I'm attempting, having another quick way to differentiate them would be quite helpful to me.

Again, thanks for everything you've already done to make Synthesia such an excellent learning device.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Sorry for the six month wait on this.

Please tell your daughter that I'm sorry Synthesia didn't have a profile option that represented her better. That particular icon was from an open source image set that I'd found because I was looking for a generic "person" (to contrast with the anonymous icon). Now that you've brought it to my attention, I realize I failed to find the right icon.

I remember an article I read many years ago just after the release of Windows XP. The Windows Messenger team at Microsoft described how it had taken hundreds of iterations to create an icon that demonstrated diversity while also avoiding any bias toward a particular culture or gender.
Windows Messenger.png
Windows Messenger.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
Without a team their size (and without the image being nearly as important as the app's primary branding), I wonder if the most expedient workaround wouldn't be to simply remove the icons altogether?

For #2, this is another interesting request. I actually have plans to add general-purpose annotations (almost like a Post-It note) to the falling note area during a song, but I hadn't considered any sort of user comment on the song library screen.