Increase Falling Note Font Size

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
jackhoisgood

Post by jackhoisgood »

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a way to increase the font size of the falling notes, especially the black keys. My alternative solution so far is to rely on an older version of Synthesia. The past couple of years I thought my ability to track notes was getting worse.. only to realise the font size of the falling notes was getting smaller!

Small black keys in Synthesia 10.7. Digging the larger white key font size but the smaller black keys is illegible for me :(
Spoiler:
small font.png
small font.png (60.2 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
Bigger black keys in Synthesia 10.0. Despite the white key font sizes being comparatively smaller in this version the trade-off is still beneficial for me.
Spoiler:
big font.png
big font.png (40.63 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Try this:
  1. Hold your Shift key while launching the app to show the configuration window.
  2. Choose the "Keyboard.LabelBonusSize" from the list of settings.
  3. Change the value from 4 to something larger. Maybe 10 or so.
Unfortunately there isn't a way to choose a different value for white and black keys separately, so making the labels larger on the black notes has the side effect of making them comically large on the white notes. Still, hopefully that's a better workaround than nothing.
jackhoisgood

Post by jackhoisgood »

Thanks Nicholas. This workaround is good enough for me! Glad I can rely on the latest version of Synthesia now :)
bigger font.png
bigger font.png (419.58 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
jackhoisgood

Post by jackhoisgood »

Might have to create a new forum post but is there a way to do the same for the iPad version of the Synthesia app? To be able to increase the font size on the falling notes for the iPad app I mean. It’s a little small for me in there :?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Unfortunately, no, not without jailbreaking the device (which I never recommend).

I've been trying to migrate a few of the "advanced" features to the in-app settings screen each update, although there is an interesting tension between the expediency of being able to add something to that configuration window (in something like 1 or 2 lines of code) but not have it accessible in the tablet versions (and still be kind of onerous in the PC/Mac case).

To add an option the "right" way requires UI work and translating text into 15 other languages, so I have a tendency to lean toward the "easy" way.
jackhoisgood

Post by jackhoisgood »

Thanks Nicholas. I had a feeling that would be the case. Reality doesn’t seem to play nice especially for developers who try to develop seemingly simple features :grimace:
jackhoisgood

Post by jackhoisgood »

Glad to see there's an adjustable label size now with the latest Synthesia on Desktop and iOS update :)