RTP Connection

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Midiano

Post by Midiano »

Hi,

I currently use desktop Synthesia to send MIDI to my device. I use the rtpMIDI application from Tobias Erichsen to stream the MIDI with RTP connection, this works great. But now I would like to do the same with my Android phone. I tried connecting the Synthesia app with apps like TouchDaw (would feature Android RTP connection) but they dont show up in each others input/output because (i think):
->TouchDaw doesn't make a virtual input port for Synthesia
->Synthesia doesn't make a virtual output port for TouchDaw

I contacted TouchDaw about this and they said:
"Only if Synthesia offers a virtual MIDI port. TouchDAW would let you open those and the "MIDI Relay" option would then enable streaming received data out to the other port. However TouchDAW does not create its own virtual ports, so you won't see it in Synthesia."

Now I would suggest a feature which either makes that virtual output port or makes Synthesia able to directly connect with RTP.
I would really like to be able to connect over RTP because Bluetooth is not an option for my device, and cable is so 2009 :D

Thank you!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

You should be able to do the same with a 3rd party app that can make virtual ports. As long as Synthesia is set to use "Android M MIDI" on the Settings screen, it should see other virtual ports. Then you can use the 3rd party app to route a connection between the two.
Midiano

Post by Midiano »

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for your reply, I am using "Android M MIDI" and I can connect synthesia to the app FluidSynth and TouchDaw can pick up the FluidSynth port too. I also managed to connect TouchDaw to my receiving device, however I am unable to receive any data.
I know these are 3rd party apps and not really your concern, but I would really appreciate if you could add a output port or even better RTP functionality.

Maybe this API is useful, it is from Nils Peters, developer of TouchDaw.
https://xmmc.de/nmj/javadoc/overview-summary.html

As far as I could find TouchDaw is the only app to send MIDI over RTP on Android