Only display down action

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Pathogenex

Post by Pathogenex »

So i keep downloading midi files only to find that for whatever reason all of the notes are never lifted.
So this is a request for a togglable setting where synthesia only displays the down press on the notes and not the hold time?
This could be really usefull feature for practicing hold times as well as fixing issues with with dodgey midi files. Two birds one stone? Or button?

Example of what moonlight sonata is looking like to me

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, this isn't usually as common as it sounds like you're finding. Are all of these files from the same source?

I'd be curious to see the inside of it to make sure Synthesia isn't doing something wrong in this case. If you could either post the file here or email it to support@synthesiagame.com, that would be helpful. Thanks!
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

The title bar in the screenshot says the song is "Moonlight Sonata (Complete With All Three Movements!)". In the left margin on that page, you can click "Download or Print" to get a MIDI file or a MusicXML file.

In the notation shown on the page, there is a pedal mark that stretches from the beginning of measure 1 to the end of measure 65. In the MIDI file download, this has been transformed to holding every note in this range until the end of measure 65.

If you use MuseScore to open the MusicXML version then export it as a MIDI file, MuseScore converts the pedal mark into sustain pedal control change messages and the notes remain their original durations.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks for dredging up the link.

Yeah, their MIDI exporter is doing something a little suspect. At the start of measure 66 (where the first Ped marking ends in the sheet music) there are 1,127 Note Off messages. So the file isn't even "incorrect" so much as the notes are depicted as intentionally being that long. There wouldn't even be anything (besides rough heuristics) to signal to Synthesia that anything was amiss.

The MusicXML version of the song is a much better choice in this case.
Pathogenex

Post by Pathogenex »

Hey thanks for the reply. Sorry for my late return. What you've said is correct and i appreciate the help.

I ended up removing the pedal marks from the piece entirely just to avoid this happening and it fixed it.