Display of overlapping notes

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Organ music can produce overlapping notes because of the multiple keyboards. This is an example of how the music could look in the upper half and a proposed solution in the lower half:
Organ overlap proposal 1ab.png
Organ overlap proposal 1ab.png (27.75 KiB) Viewed 6286 times
There could be more than two notes overlapping on rare occasions. If the possibility of 3 overlapping notes was handled, that should take care of 99.999% of all organ music every likely to be played in Synthesia. This could be limited to Played By You tracks since no one should care very much about clear display of overlapping notes if they don't have to play them.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Auron

Post by Auron »

Overlapping notes are really difficult to represent using falling bars. I think your proposed solution has a problem, at least for me: I've made in my head an association between the width of the bars and the keys I must press, so for me a thin bar means "press a black key" and a fat one means "press a white key".

How about using transparencies? I mean, in your example the green bar is over the orange one. As the green bar opacity is 100%, you can't see where exactly the orange one finishes. If the green bar had an opacity of, let's say, 50%, there wouldn't be such a problem. Maybe you could even add a little shadow casted from the green bar onto the orange one, to enhance the effect.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

The only problem I see with that, is that it is about the same size as a sharp/flat.
Maybe blending the colors together? or have one smaller but centered. (then the next would be even smaller.)
Ya I did not take my time on it.
Ya I did not take my time on it.
notes.jpg (14.9 KiB) Viewed 6275 times
jimhenry wrote:This could be limited to Played By You tracks since no one should care very much about clear display of overlapping notes if they don't have to play them.
I play a lot of songs that has different instruments playing under each other. and it would be nice if it was like this on the auto tracks too. (So I can find the track I want to play easley.)
DC64

Post by DC64 »

I think this would be a great option for the next update.
i wouldn't reccomend this on auto simply because it is a new concept.
The best place if this where applied is next to the instruments you input a percentage telling wich intruments go on top of wichever you chose. form 1 to 999
"And now for something completely different."
indigochild

Post by indigochild »

I was hoping one of the updates would have addressed this. This becomes an issue especially when notes of the same instrument start overlapping with each other, which happens quite often when the sostenuto pedal is involved.
IvanL

Post by IvanL »

Two notes on the same key could be shown as diagonally striped to show both voice colors.
If it is the same voice color, the stripes could have a 1-2 pixel black outline so you can still see that it is striped vs solid.