Random Midi Player - Gramp v0.2

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

DC64 wrote:What is the green bar?
Lemo wrote:Concerning the green bar, that's obviously a time slider, but as I also explained it will be activated in the next version.
aka BASS lib support
Stuff & experiments for Synthesia: Gramp v0.2SkinboxFireSynthVideoWebradio
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Some preliminary testing around midi visualization, following this topic
I'm thinking of adding this as an alternate choice of display in the instruments frame of Gramp

Could be like a music DNA (pitch/velocity)

I also tried the classic timeline (time/pitch), but even if it's more likely to understand, I think it doesn't look as interesting

I think I'm gonna tend (if I can) to something compact like QRcodes
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That top image is really cool looking.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Looks cool.
If the DNA for the music is like a scope or a bar visualization then maby to be more "interesring" would be to add straight or curved lines to each box.
"And now for something completely different."
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

I like the first image too
Because it's velocity based though, it only looks good with live performed midis
Robot-quantized songs with a constant velocity will just show a dumb doted line :\
I need to find a work around for this

As DNA, I was thinking more about "genome map" style than the double helix thing
Not sure I have enough space to add anything inside each box anyway ^^'
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

I can't start gramp v0.2 (widows ask for what programm to choose for to open gramp.ahk.
The version 0.1 works.
anyhelp?
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Lemo wrote:Also I changed a bit how the .exe works, it now only include a "Run, Gramp.ahk" command, so people may modify the source
Hmm I guess that trick of mine didn't work...apparently you still needed to have autohotkey installed in that case :?

I updated the download link with a regular standalone executable,
the .ahk source won't be editable without autohotkey, but at least you don't need it to simply launch Gramp
Thanks for the report :)

Edit: Btw I also noticed the autosave feature wasn't working with the compiled version for a similar reason
That will be fixed in next release
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

thanks lemo it's works now :)
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Hell, It's about time.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Lemo wrote:Could be like a music DNA (pitch/velocity)
One of my various experiments was also using a mapping like:

x-axis: pitch (as in the case of a real piano keyboard)
y-axis: velocity

I think you used a similar method above?

We can think about splitting a midi file as in my other thread into components like drums, bass, chords, melody, then trying to find interesting "image operations" to combine those 4 images into a bigger end image. Image operations might be things like

- RGB weighting
- HUV weighting
- Alpha blending weighting

Drums could be even differentiated a little more like: drums = kick + snare + rest and thus weighting kick and snare positions a little different, they could get more energy maybe... like more white/red or so.
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Yeah the first image above is x-pitch & y-velocity
Interesting stuff on your other post also, this Craig Stuart Sapp seems to have gone very far in the process!
Maybe it looks a bit too much like a science graph for me though, I think I prefer something more abstract without all the numbers and grids

About the splitting, I already setup a file with a colour associated to each instrument MIDI program number, depending how the sound felt like and such,
But that idea of drums+bass+chords+melody components may work quite well in complement indeed.
I was wondering how to make a square, and that could be the way of setting up the for corners areas of something like the QR code above :]
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Yeah, it is easy to remove all the numbers and the grid. Actually there is only one important information, the biggest number on the x-axis tells the length of the midi file in measures.