Sheet Music Import for Playing

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Hopfrog

Post by Hopfrog »

First let me say I am so glad I discovered Synthesia. I think it would make all my other forms of learning piano almost obsolete if it had the ability to import sheet music and turn it into falling notes. I apologize if this has already been asked or suggested, but I couldn't find a definitive answer in searching the forums.

I know there is a Sheet Music Import feature on the features page, but from I read, it will just be used as read only and you will still be MIDI dependent. While I think Synthesia is fantastic, I can't say the same for all the MIDIs that are out there. I find the majority of them to be useless as a way of playing a piece solo on piano. Sheet music, however, is custom made for this purpose.

When I buy my sheet music from musicnotes, the site is able to play a preview so it certainly seems possible. I am not really up on the technical side of how this all works so I don't know if it is feasible, but if it were possible, I could see Synthesia becoming absolutely invaluable as a practice and learning tool.
Hopfrog

Post by Hopfrog »

Ok, I'm learning a bit more about this, so a follow up post.

So the music I get from Music Notes comes in .mtd form which only works on their proprietary software. It won't convert the sheet music to MIDIs if it is copyrighted, which seems to be just about all the ones I have and it won't print to a .pdf file. It appears my only option is to print the sheet music out, scan it with a third party program that will make the MIDI from the scanned in sheet music. What a pain.

Anyone have advice or software recommendations on how to do this effectively?
swalker133

Post by swalker133 »

try smartscore
Learning, creating, recording, and performing music on the iPhone and iPad...
http://www.iosmusician.com/
kickininthefrontsea

Post by kickininthefrontsea »

for the record

Converting Sheet Music on the wiki