Lighted keys advance notice timing

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
abstracte

Post by abstracte »

I got an LK-270 and the lighted keys work great, but the time delay (about 0.2 seconds I'd say) is enough to _not_ be able to play the song continuously by just looking at the lighted keys. You can't follow the lighted keys since they light up so late.

I want to be able to have the keys light up, say, 0.2 seconds _faster_ (ie send the light-up message 0.2 seconds _before_ I am to hit the note).
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The keys light up whenever it's a valid time to actually hit the note. You should be able to extend that out by changing the "Gameplay.NoteWindowUs" setting in advanced section of the Synthesia Configuration tool. Maybe double the number (to 330000) and it should show the keyboard light twice as long.
abstracte

Post by abstracte »

Well, it's actually I think the delay from the keyboard. The keyboard takes a fraction of a second to display the light for the note. I can either pull _forward the note beginnings in time in the midi's_ (painstaking), so that the next note is sent before the current one is completed (and so it arrives on time), or you could send the signal to "on" the midi note _early_.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I haven't seen any keyboards with delays at all in their lighted keys. They're generally as instant/low-latency as their hardware synths. Are you sure that's what you think it is?
abstracte

Post by abstracte »

I wrote this as an edit, but somehow I re-edited it back --

What the problem is is the LIGHTED note only goes on WHEN the colored bar is dropping out of the bottom of the screen.

This means that you can't play continuously by just looking at the keys. because by the time the note drops out. it is too late. you have to move to the new key, and hit it.

So, i'd like to "SEND LIGHT" signal a little bit _early_, about 0.5s BEFORE the note is supposed to be hit. This way you could play continuously.
davidddd

Post by davidddd »

Just as an implementation, my lk-90TV blinks an upcoming note on the keyboard when it's doing it's built in lessons. A bit cheesy, but it does the trick.
abstracte

Post by abstracte »

Well I don't see how you'd play smoothly if the light only lights up _after_ you're supposed've hit it.

It's like having a coach that says to you SWING! a fraction of a second _after_ the ball goes across the plate. Not very helpful.