creating duplicate tracks

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
julesgia

Post by julesgia »

I am enjoying the program and it has proven helpful and fun. I mainly use midi's which are piano solo's. Sometimes I get a midi that has all the extra tracks and I turn them off to focus is on the piano part. I can find a way to play along with the program in the learning mode. It's like I need a duplicate track for Synthesia to play. It's not about splitting the grand piano track into left and right hands that I'm talking about. Just to be able to copy a track as it is in the midi and paste it verbatim and assign it to Synthesia to play. I've tried the copy and paste function (which I don't fully understand what I am doing) but it changes everything but the actual notes. For example I copy the grand piano track with 508 notes and then paste it replaces every instrument with the grand piano but it leaves the original notes instead of changing to 508 notes of the grand piano. I know I can play along with the program in the watch and listen mode but in the game I have not found a way for the program and myself to play simultaneously the same exact part..unless I'm missing something. This is mainly to improve timing. I'm not looking at the computer screen for my timing. I mainly look at my sheet music to read the notes, etc and am listening to Synthesia play in order to ensure I am staying on time. When working on timing it's like using a fancy metronome without having to listen to click, click, click :roll: . It really helps to identify areas where my timing is off some. It would be nice to be able to use the score functions in the game while I'm learning it though. It would also be nice to increase speed by beats as well as percentage and I have only found I am able to change speed by 10% increments which, for me, is sometimes a bit of jump in speed depending on the piece. I'm new to the program and it may be that I am just not aware of how to use the other functions. Or it may be that I need to use one of those fancy midi editing programs to manipulate tracks...which is NOT something I want to take up at this time. I'd rather tickle the ivories versus my laptops keys. I liked the lay out of the previous version better (sorry, I had to say it :? )..maybe it's all in what you get used to. It's a GREAT program with so many wonderful ways to grow and you have certainly been generous with your creativity and expertise. Although I use it as an addition to my private lessons, it serves as a great reference tool and can just plain be a whole lot fun to play around with it. I midi through a Yamaha Clavinova 440 which is another subject I'll skip...love being able to go under headphones and play whenever without disturbing others and it sounds good. We all have our dreams, ideal fantasies, be it what they may...mine is named Steinway and he wears ebony, 8'11. He's no baby, he's grand...and costs way more than a few too. Which is why I must get back to work! :lol:

Some stuff that would be nice...not complaining just throwing out random ideas
1. Minimize screen without closing program/an easier menu navigation
2. Duplicate track ability
3. Speed adjustment via beats as well as percentage...smaller increments
4. Whoever scores the highest for playing a selected piece wins a Steinway!....I know...nice try.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

julesgia wrote:Minimize screen without closing program/an easier menu navigation
This should be possible in the release after Synthesia 8.4. In fact, you'll be able to maximize, minimize, and resize... even during a song.
julesgia wrote:Duplicate track ability
I plan to release a small Synthesia-like MIDI editor (with an interface as easy to use as you've come to expect from Synthesia) that will have a way to do this. That will also be just after the 8.4 release.
julesgia wrote:Speed adjustment via beats as well as percentage...smaller increments
You can get smaller increments by holding Ctrl when you hit the arrow keys to change speed. And if you grab the latest 8.4 development preview, the speed is now shown in BPM as well as percentage of the original song.
julesgia wrote:Whoever scores the highest for playing a selected piece wins a Steinway!
Maybe not a Steinway, but I could certainly be doing more toward building the Synthesia community including giving away prizes for... something. I don't know. :lol:
Hopstep

Post by Hopstep »

Nicholas wrote:You can get smaller increments by holding Ctrl when you hit the arrow keys to change speed. And if you grab the latest 8.4 development preview, the speed is now shown in BPM as well as percentage of the original song.
Is the finer tempo control feature available through the iPad app’s standalone UI? The virtual keyboard doesn’t pop up during playback and I don’t have a keyboard accessory for my iPad so is there an alternative? Some gesture or menu setting that can do it? If not, it’s a feature I would greatly appreciate.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'm hoping to add a gesture for this: touching right on the tempo itself and dragging your finger either to the left or right. You'd still use the +/- buttons to get in the ballpark. Then the drag gesture would be for fine-tuning. A full drag from the center to side of the screen might be ±20% tempo.