Fingering on sheet music

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
revilo2

Post by revilo2 »

Hello,

We have been waiting (too :D ) long time for the 8.5 version, with the multi-lines sheet music only display.
In the meantime, why don't display fingering numbers above the notes of the sheet music line ?

Maybe it's not too difficult and it would be very usefull

;)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Finger hints in the sheet display is something I was also hoping to include with the 0.8.5 sheet update.

Really 0.8.4 is already much bigger than I prefer, so there won't be much room to sneak things into it. I'm actually trying to find ways to trim back some of the required work (somehow) to have something to show you guys sooner. It's a monumental project.
stephan

Post by stephan »

I do hope this feature lands in the next version. The interface for assigning fingering on the falling notes is great, but it would be doubly useful if the chosen fingering was also displayed on the music score.
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Nicholas wrote: Really 0.8.4 is already much bigger than I prefer, so there won't be much room to sneak things into it. I'm actually trying to find ways to trim back some of the required work (somehow) to have something to show you guys sooner. It's a monumental project.
Did you mean 0.8.6? :)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yeah, there have been some name changes since then.

0.8.4 became 8.4. And 0.8.5 was going to be the next big update that I'm now calling Synthesia 9. So everything mentioned there is still on track. MusicXML support means finger hints in the sheet area. (Though in the beginning that will only be if they're stored in the file. Eventually I might be able to have them echo hints added during play.)

Actually... I've started thinking of "Synthesia 9" as "all of the work I'm going to get done during 2013" because I don't just want one big monolithic release. It might end up being 9 followed by 9.1, 9.2, etc. MusicXML will be in one of those.
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

One more question, does this mean that Synthesia will read (take as input) XML-files (song.xml) instead of MIDI files (song.mid?)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yep. I'm expecting to support both versions of MusicXML (song.xml and the compressed form: song.mxl).

They should work interchangeably with the .mid, .midi, and .kar that Synthesia already handles. Actually, .mxl is a neat format that is actually just a Zip container with several files inside. We could conceivably find a way to embed .synthesia metadata right inside an .mxl file while still following all of its rules and conventions. (This is actually what the Open Score Format has built on top of MusicXML, and I'm hoping to support .osf files too.)

So a single file will be able to contain the MusicXML for falling notes / sheet, the metadata that includes finger hints and other descriptions for Synthesia, and even something like a PDF version of the song or whatever else you'd like.
pianomusic

Post by pianomusic »

Fingering on sheet music would be a great feature!

A version 8.6 which only adds the fingering to 8.5 for sheet music would be perfect ;-)

A "full" sheet music mode, which ONLY shows the sheet music and removes the view of the falling notes (and virtual keyboard) completely, would be also a nice feature.

I think with this features Synthesia is a great alternative for learning Sight-reading.
Sederien

Post by Sederien »

pianomusic wrote:Fingering on sheet music would be a great feature!

A version 8.6 which only adds the fingering to 8.5 for sheet music would be perfect ;-)

A "full" sheet music mode, which ONLY shows the sheet music and removes the view of the falling notes (and virtual keyboard) completely, would be also a nice feature.

I think with this features Synthesia is a great alternative for learning Sight-reading.
Technically, you can do part of this now by hiding the falling notes in advanced mode:

HOWEVER, I completely agree and actually signed into the forum to ask Nicholas how the sheet music mode was coming along as I'm starting to progress into more difficult songs (with the aid of an actual piano instructor) and it would be amazing to have the mode in place soon-ish.

Major issue currently is, while Synthesia does a great job at generally showing the score and separating right from left hand if the MIDI is written properly, you can see the highlighted note is a LEFT HAND note but is still shown on the top staff instead of extending from the bottom staff as written in the actual piece. This isn't really that much of an issue for this particular note, but more complicated sections can be very confusing...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Sederien wrote:... you can see the highlighted note is a LEFT HAND note but is still shown on the top staff instead of extending from the bottom staff as written in the actual piece.
Yeah, this is an issue that will be solved outright by MusicXML versions of the same songs once that support is added to Synthesia.

Regarding the status of the MusicXML update, it's still a "later this year" item. There are two things on the list ahead of it: the song store and internationalization. After those are out the door hand-splitting and MusicXML will be up next. (The good news is that the song store is coming along nicely and internationalization is actually a pretty small task in terms of my own time required.)
Sederien

Post by Sederien »

Thanks, Nicholas.

Looking forward to it!
proxima

Post by proxima »

I just thought I'd chime in with support for this functionality. On scales and arpeggios, sheet music view helps to solidify the familiarity with each key, but I still don't have the fingering memorized for every key yet.

Looking forward to upcoming releases.
advalencia

Post by advalencia »

Just wanted to +1 this request, I like the falling notes method ok, but I prefer to go with the sheet music and is hard to look at both places.
revilo2

Post by revilo2 »

Now that synthesia 10 is finished, when do you plan to develop MUSICXML ?

fingering on sheet music is realy the functionality i was always waiting for... :D
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

MusicXML is still planned for Synthesia 11. That should be a shorter release cycle than 10, too.
Djanejanoe

Post by Djanejanoe »

I just wanted to say this is a feature I would really like to see!
dynup

Post by dynup »

Nicholas wrote:MusicXML is still planned for Synthesia 11. That should be a shorter release cycle than 10, too.
Sorry for interference, but an export inclusive fingerings to MusicXML in new android version v11 would be nice! Is that possible?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The usual methods of working with metadata should continue to work exactly the same for MusicXML as it does for MIDI today. (Finally, a benefit for choosing to store things outside the file and just use an MD5 hash for song recognition!)

You'll be able to use exported metadata in the Android version of Synthesia 11 for MusicXML files.
dynup

Post by dynup »

Nicholas wrote:You'll be able to use exported metadata in the Android version of Synthesia 11 for MusicXML files.
Very cool, thanks Nicholas!
diegosolano

Post by diegosolano »

i am beginner and i am agree with guys that want finger hints on top of score, but don't take away falling notes or another feautures , just do improvements like this , but where i can turn on , off the features, turn off keyboard, on, on off score , on/off finger hints, etc. Thanks, but, i think that fingerhints on score is waste of time, better read my "screen layout" post, my idea is fingers (like yamaha ez-200), that change colors when a key is hit, but below the keyboard in the screen , like: score, then keyboard , then fingers, well starting has to be static hands, but after that, i know it's difficult to do that, MOVING FINGERS ON TOP OF KEYBOARD simulating real players, that is great for me (just thinking), and changing colors when finger or fingers touch key or keys (chords) in the piano or keyboard....