A collection of ideas for Synthesia (II)

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
tommai78101

Post by tommai78101 »

After looking around on the web, I noticed a lot of things missing:

1. The notes overlapping each others tends to be a worrisome effect for my eyes and hands. I can't tell whether the notes are supposed to be pressed together, or pressed in order of appearance Synthesia shows.

2. If you use software rendering, would it fix the CPU-high usage problem?

3. A piano has three petals at the bottom, where you put your feet at. I wonder if the version 0.6.2 comes with a way that it can mimic how real pianos play when stepping on one of the petals. Like:

A pianist, sitting at a real piano, with the rightmost petal stepped on, keyed in a note, and that note stretches until it fades into silence.
Some MIDI files have so many "notes that stretches" that five fingers on one hand isn't enough to play it correctly.

4. Can we change Synthesia's FPS to either low, medium, high?

5. An option to split the software keyboard into two halves. One half uses one MIDI tone (or instrument), the other using a different tone (or instrument). Example:

Percussions and Bass played together. Percussions played on the left, Bass played on the right.

6. Adding a feedback feature, in case of an error or bug exploited by XP. I think someone might have requested this before me.

7. Multiple MIDI files played one by one after another when a song is finished playing it. Like queuing in line.

8. Two Synthesias opened at the same time. Used for people with two USB MIDI keyboards.

9. An musical example melody included. Used to let others know how to press the correct keys to play the correct sounds.

10. A small picture showing what keys are used for which hands. If we use each rows as each keys, it would be kinda hard to press when one hand is underneath the other. If we use keys that were in an area for a hand to press, it might be easier than bumping into another hand.

Additional Request, if you like it or not:

An easter egg when inputing a specific melody in Synthesia. Since itself is a game...
Hardware Information: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20GHz / 2.21 GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 2070 / Nvidia GTX 1060 dual-GPU, Roland FP-10, MIDI-OX + LoopMIDI combo.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

1. Yeah, I don't have a good solution for overlapping notes. That's one of the (many) pitfalls of allowing any MIDI file to be played. A work-around might be to set more tracks to "Played but Hidden". Of course, if a single track has notes that overlap, there isn't much that can be done right now. If you had any suggestions, I'd like to hear them.
  2. Actually, software rendering would increase the load on the CPU more (and then the graphics card would be sitting there mostly-idle too).
  3. You're right. Right now I ignore everything except key presses from the player. (I'm trying to keep the complexity down.) But, I could pay more attention to the pedals. Of course, if the pedals ever impacted your score or performance, it would put players that had keyboard without pedals at a disadvantage.
  4. Do you mean slowing down the speed the game renders frames? Why would you want to do that?
  5. If you've playing a song with bass and percussion tracks, and you set both to "You Play", the keyboard split should happen automatically.
  6. An "error reporting with comment" feature is being added in 0.6.3 (11/30/2007). That's a really important one because I want to keep the software as high quality as possible.
  7. You might be able to package a feature like that up and call it having a "concert". I like that.
  8. There might be trouble using more than one at a time if you're using the same output device (or input device) in each, but if you really do have multiple input and output devices, it could work. It seems like kind of a rare case to support, though. If OpenGL supported multiple-monitors, the game would practically already support it.
  9. Yeah, both beginner music and a first-time tutorial are scheduled as high-priorities. I've needed those for a while.
  10. I don't know if there is a good universal guide to show which hands are used with which keys. It seems really dependent on the song. Or, did you mean that the game should detect where your hands should go?
  11. Regarding the easter egg, you never know... there might be one in there already. ;)
tommai78101

Post by tommai78101 »

4. That way, it can let the computer get use to the high-usage of the CPU.

But, it may cause complex situation, so I rather not bother this one, yet. :roll: